Sep 19, 2010

a cold weather soup (we're pretending it's fall)

In an effort to keep our eating local and in season, we tried out kale this past week.  It was pretty decent.  Kale is like a tree.  I thought it looked sort of like big, tough curly parsley, but I put aside my initial prejudice.

We started with white bean and kale salad earlier this week, which turned out much better than I expected.  We had a lot leftover though, and I hated to see it go to waste, so I invented a soup.

Ingredients:
leftover white bean and kale salad
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup to 1 cup of small pasta (we used conchiglie)
1/2 lb. hot Italian sausage

Bring the broth to a boil.  Add pasta.  Slice sausage (remove casing if you want) and brown over medium heat.  Add sausage and leftover white bean and kale salad to pasta.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Top with a little grated Parmesan.

I loved this soup for three reasons:
1) it screamed "comfort food" to me
2) it allowed me to hide my leftovers in a new meal
3) it came together REALLY fast.

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try this :) You should try our homemade pizza recipe: http://jacoblandry.blogspot.com/ (2nd post) - you can see how great we are at blogging

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...