I finished dress #3 last week, and it has so many mistakes that it barely qualifies as a "dress." In fact, my friend Jillian laughed when I showed it to her. Seriously. (Love you, Jill! :-) As with anything in life, there are Pros and Things I Learned.
This looks like a dress.
It fits the crazy toddler.
It has sleeves and a zipper.
There are no pins still stuck in it that would stick the crazy toddler.
The fabric is cute.
Things I Learned:
Sometimes it's better not to follow pattern directions exactly. The contrast band on the hem is all jacked up (as in I had to fold the excess fabric into a random pleat as I sewed the band on to the bottom of the dress), but I used my own method to keep the same problem from occurring on the sleeves.
I know what "stitch in the ditch" means now. That doesn't mean I know how to do it.
You don't have to use a zipper foot to sew in a zipper. I still don't know what a zipper foot is or if I even have one.
I still need to figure out how to get my machine to do a gathering stitch. Please don't look too closely at my uneven gathers...
I am brushing up on my visual/spatial skills from staring intently at the pictures on the pattern directions.
My sewing skills do not improve very much after a glass of wine.
In spite of its flaws and imperfections, I am really proud of this dress. I made it all by myself! It's my first step towards ACTUALLY SEWING CUTE THINGS, and I don't think Cara really cares if it's not perfect. All she cares about is whether or not she can run in it.