Oct 17, 2010

my newest project

I love sewing.  It's so theraputic.  I am not really a creative person, but sewing gives me a way to create that is strictly personal.  I really struggle with that work/life balance, and I think I always will.  My job too often becomes personal, as I'm sure any teacher's would, and it often feels like everyone demands 100% of me. 

But, sewing for Cara is really for me.

And so we have outfit 4:


The pants in the picture are my round two.  I cut out the first pair by a 18-24 months, thinking that they would probably be roomy.  I had them ready for the elastic in the waist and the hem when I decided that maybe I should try them on the child.  Wouldn't go up over her knees...sad.

Round two:  I cut them out by a 3T.  Surely that would be big enough.  I ended up cutting three feet off of the length.  The fit is a little wonky, but Cara can run.  And we know that's really all that matters. 

Despite my setbacks with fit, I think I am getting better at the actual sewing part.  I am remembering to cut off the strings before I sew seams together, which means fewer random strings sticking out of random places, and I reinforced my seams on the pants with a zigzag stitch in the seam allowance.  My pattern direction suggested surging, but I don't have a surger (I don't think I do anyway), so I hoped zigzag would work almost as well. 

The t-shirt was super easy.  I cut out the C, ironed it on the shirt, and sewed around it.  Next time, I will do better on the sewing-around-it part, but it's not so bad.

My favorite thing is the hairbow. 




Really, could that be any cuter?  I love it.  I followed this tutorial, and it was ridiculously easy.  Everyone should do it.



4 comments:

  1. So cute!!! And I love the bow! I will have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious!! Love you!
    Bitsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing such an awesome job! You're inspiring me to finally open up my sewing machine that's been in a box for two weeks now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for the encouragement!

    @Chelsea: OPEN THAT BOX! A world of wonderment awaits.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...