Nov 1, 2010

count your blessings--30 days of gratitude--day 1


I am not a morning person, but I get up really early.  I have tried to find ways around 5:30 am, but nothing works long term except just getting my lazy self out of the bed.  Some mornings I feel cursed by my alarm clock, but the sound that helps me manage to wiggle out of the warm covers and into the cold, cruel world is the sound of the coffee grinder.

We have a grind and brew type coffee maker, and it makes a delicious cup of joe.  However, it is an enormous pain to clean and set up.  You can't just rinse the coffee grounds out; soap and scrubbing are required, and the directions say to clean after each use.  It takes at least 5 full minutes to clean all those pieces, add more water and coffee beans, and set up the timer.  Maybe 5 minutes isn't very long, but when the bed is calling your name at the end of a loooong day, the temptation is the leave the coffee for tomorrow.

But my husband gets the coffee ready every night.  He cleans each piece with soap and scrubbing, adds the perfect number of coffee beans, the ideal amount of water, and sets the timer for 5:30.  And he does this for me, because I need that sound, that smell, that first cup to become a human being. 

This is not just a weekday ritual.  On the weekends, he gets up with Cara at 6:30 or 7 and lets me sleep for a few more minutes.  He will make a cup of coffee and set it beside my head on the bedside table as a gentle alarm. 

Today, I am thankful for a husband who sets up the coffee before he goes to bed every night, for a husband who shows his love in little ways every day, who makes me feel special and spoiled with simple things.  I love you, babe.

What are you thankful for today?

5 comments:

  1. I am thankful for my precious children, which includes you. Bitsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little things really do make all the difference in a relationship!
    Today I am thankful for my thick, warm, cozy socks that make climbing out of bed a little easier :)
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, what a sweet thing for him to do :)

    http://bottleblack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This 30 days of Gratitude is such a good idea! Your husband sounds like the greatest.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...