Sausage, Peppers, and Penne
1/2 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 links of Italian sausage, sliced (I used chicken sausage and was surprised by how tasty it was)
1/2 lb of penne (I mixed whole wheat and regular pasta because that is what was in the cabinet)
Italian seasoning blend (or a mix of dried parsley, basil, oregano, or any other Italian-ish herbs you like)
red pepper flake
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Brown sausage in olive oil. After two to three minutes, add veggies and saute until just tender.
- Add tomatoes. Sprinkle dried herbs and red pepper flake according to how much you like. I like a lot of both, but I hold back on the red pepper flake if Cara is going to eat with us.
- Simmer while pasta cooks.
- Add pasta to sauce and simmer a few more minutes. I added a little bit of pasta water to thin out the sauce.
- Top with grated Parmesan or, if you are strange like me, a crumbled cornbread muffin.