Nov 15, 2010

count your blessings--30 days of gratitude--day 15

I am thankful for peppers and penne.  Yummy, yummy.

Sausage, Peppers, and Penne

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz. can diced tomatoes
2 links of Italian sausage, sliced (I used chicken sausage and was surprised by how tasty it was)
1/2 lb of penne (I mixed whole wheat and regular pasta because that is what was in the cabinet)
Italian seasoning blend (or a mix of dried parsley, basil, oregano, or any other Italian-ish herbs you like)
red pepper flake
  1. Cook pasta according to package directions.
  2. Brown sausage in olive oil.  After two to three minutes, add veggies and saute until just tender.
  3. Add tomatoes.  Sprinkle dried herbs and red pepper flake according to how much you like.  I like a lot of both, but I hold back on the red pepper flake if Cara is going to eat with us.
  4. Simmer while pasta cooks.
  5. Add pasta to sauce and simmer a few more minutes.  I added a little bit of pasta water to thin out the sauce.
  6. Top with grated Parmesan or, if you are strange like me, a crumbled cornbread muffin.
This recipe feeds PJ, Cara, and me a healthy portion each, plus lunch for PJ and me the next day.  Delish.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing!!! I will have to try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...