Nov 21, 2010

count your blessings--30 days of gratitude--days 20 and 21

Apparently, disappointment makes me productive.  This weekend, I made six appliqued t-shirts, and I finally finished dress #5:

#5
Why, yes, actually this dress does look remarkably similar to dresses #3 and #4:


#4

#3

These dresses were all made by the same pattern that I have now run into the ground.  I have learned quite a lot though, so (day 20) thank you, Simplicity #2674.  I'm still not so good at zippers, but I think I have finally mastered sleeves.  I have a much better idea of how to finish armholes too, thanks to sewing club president Laura.  Yes, I just named you president of sewing club.

For day 21, I am trying really hard to be thankful for disappointment, especially for the new perspective it can bring and lessons it can teach.  This is a difficult thing to be thankful for.  I am a perfectionist and a pleaser, so feeling like I failed (which I did; I failed) is close to the worst feeling ever, especially when I can't see why or how I can fix it.  I understand constructive criticism and the learning process, but I have never encountered something that I couldn't accomplish in the end.  Except for learning to drive a stick, but I didn't really want to learn that.  This was something I wanted, but I have begun to question why.  What were my motivators?  If my honest answer is money, then I have wasted a lot of time and effort with nothing to show for it.  And I think that is the most difficult pill to swallow.  Lesson learned.  Perspective gained.  Thank you.


5 comments:

  1. When you encounter a closed door, look for an open window or a window you can open...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been going kinda crazy with appliqued shirts this week (or month) as well. I like the simplicity of hand-stitching them and they are SO EASY that way! A little mind-numbing activity has a very soothing effect on me.

    Also, I'm sorry you're going through a tough disappointment. It just sucks when that happens:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is usually a good reason for a closed door or in this case, a less than expected outcome for your effort. Only God knows what was down that road. "In everything give thanks....." and you do. Love you, Bitsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember all of those "life lessons" we learned in kindergarten...Don't talk in the hallways, don't talk when the teacher is talking, for God's sake Christie, just STOP TALKING; share everything, mind your own business, don't hit, you have to learn the small stuff before you learn the big stuff, and sometimes you will fail even when you try your best...but that is ok and you are still smart, beautiful, and wonderful. That last one was the hardest one for me too. I'm sorry and I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...