Jan 7, 2011

the crazy mom post

I have been a little concerned about my little one this week.  She has been refusing to eat dinner.  Instead of eating it, she has been wearing it.  So far, I have believed that children eat when they are hungry and don't eat when they aren't.  I have not offered Cara a completely separate meal from what we are eating most of the time.  I sort of had this idea that she might not be a picky eater if she was offered a variety of flavors early on.  Is this really that naive?  I figured that since Cara was back at school this week after Christmas break, she was filling up there and just not hungry.  We're not big snackers, so maybe she's getting a few more snacks at school.  I mean, she couldn't possibly turn down spinach and mushroom stuffed chicken, quinoa with tomatoes and ricotta, and MACARONI AND CHEESE and peas with bacon unless she was truly not hungry, right??  RIGHT??

So I let it go.  I'm not one to force an issue like this.  She's still got those chubby little cheeks and a little roll left on her thighs; she's not starving. 

And then tonight, we cheated and had pizza for dinner.  Of course, Cara ate her pizza, two bowls of applesauce, and then asked for more pizza.  And I entertained the idea that maybe she just likes kid food better than my food.  Boo...

6 comments:

  1. No advice. Just know that I know...I'm there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we are there too. I like the advice Kates pediatrician gave. We decide what they eat and where they eat. Let them decide how much and when. I think they will naturally like certain "toddler" foods. The tough part is not thinking they are starving when they don't eat our nutritious home cooked meal and go fix them boxed Mac and cheese instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm here too this week :) Jack has his 5th ear infection and we are on the second tier, less tasty, Augmentin. Last time, I squirted a bit on each bite of his food. This time, he just spits it all back out. Jake had to resort to force feeding him the medicine tonight (which he still spit most back up.) Tonight he turned down my homemade applesauce and would only eat pears - ummm, aren't those about the same??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ben hit that phase at around 16 - 18 months. He used to love EVERYTHING. You name it, he ate it. And veggies were his favorite. Now he will literally eat like 10 things. Ever. It's frustrating, especially because he's such a little guy sitting at the 6th percentile. I think it's just a really common phase to go through. Wish I could tell you when it ends, but we don't know yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are making me feel a lot better. I have been so enthusiastic about organic cooking, and I have to admit I was a little disheartened by Cara's lack of interest this week. Perhaps it was a small pride issue...and a toddler/independence issue. Thank goodness she still likes yogurt and applesauce. Please let me know when the light at the end of the food tunnel appears. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aydyn is slowing down with how well he was eating as well. I agree that it is probably the age. Krystian, my 3 year old, has started developing his own taste buds, but as long as I am cooking, he gets what ever is on his plate. He must eat most of it if he wants a snack. I have established the same policy with Aydyn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...