Jan 16, 2011

using laundry to change my heart

I hate folding laundry.  Most of the time, our clean laundry hangs out in a basket, and our dirty laundry hangs out on the floor.  Storing clean laundry in a basket is really not the best idea though; the clothes get wrinkled and bunchy, and then you have to iron them before you can wear them, and you can never find the shirt you were looking for...you get the point.

I don't know why I dislike putting away the laundry so much.  It looks like a huge, time-consuming mountain, but I know that mornings run smoother at my house when everyone knows where their clothes are.  The worst is when Cara's clothes are still in a basket.  Changing and dressing a wild toddler is so much easier when an outfit is easily accessible.

My resolution for 2011 is to focus more on my home, and the laundry is part of my home.  In order for me to get into the habit of consistently putting the laundry away, I'm going to have to change my attitude towards it.

Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offereing and sacrifice to God.

Ephesians 5:1-2

How would Jesus handle the laundry?  I think Jesus would view putting away the laundry as being a good steward of the things God has blessed us with, taking care of what we have so that we will continue to have it.  Jesus would see laundry as a way to bring glory to God.  And that's what I want to do.

This seems like a baby step, but really, fighting against my selfish human nature is not at all easy.  I don't want to fold laundry, but I do want to bring glory to my Creator.  I have to stop placing myself above God. 

So, my prayer is that I can take me out of my heart while I fold laundry and use those moments to talk with God or maybe just listen for Him.  Whatever it is, I want to glorify God in a simple, everyday task and make my home a happier, calmer place.

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet blog you have, Jessica! I'm so impressed with your desire to turn a chore into a listening time. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so great to read! Thanks for the reminder that God is everywhere, especially in the little things and every part of our lives is about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, what a great idea. Turning an icky task in a chance to chat with God is BRILLIANT! Thanks. I intend to apply this lesson when I clean my tub this week.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and mentioning Natalie Portman's beautiful dress. There were so many lovely ladies I didn't include. She was definitely gorgeous, wasn't she?

    A Foreign Land

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jessica,

    I'm visiting over from FTLoB and reading your most recent post, I have already decided that I like you! I love that you've managed to turn a not-so-fun-chore into a reason to glorify God. Your heart is in the right place and I honestly believe that God does want to see us appreciate and respect that which we own.

    When I search for new blogs to read, I look for those that are positive and driven by faith and I have found that in yours - in one post, alone! I am looking forward to reading along and getting to know you better!

    Have a wonderful day.

    Aloha,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your sweet words! It's encouraging to know that I'm not the only one who hates laundry! :-)

    @angie: I read a little of your blog (beautiful photography!!), and I have decided that I like you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a beautiful post!! i saw you started following me so i stopped on over and i'm so glad i did! i am the same way about laundry!! thanks for the inspiration and motivation to use laundry to glorify god and spend a moment with Him!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...