Jan 23, 2011

a project reclaimed

The tea party shirt is no longer abandoned!  That fabric was too cute for me to allow it to hide in my scrap drawer. 

(In case you missed it, I tried this tutorial a weekend or two ago and failed quite miserably.  My shirt was way too small, and I had all kinds of craziness going on in the sleeves.  The whole thing was just jacked up.)

  I drew my original pattern a little on the small side, and then I followed the exact directions to attach the sleeves.  This is where I should have known better; I can never follow pattern directions exactly (or anyone's directions for that matter) and get the right outcome.  It all has to make sense in my head first, and the directions didn't make sense in my head.  The tutorial says to attach the sleeve at the shoulder and then sew the sleeve seam and the side seam all together, sort of as one seam.  I probably made it more complicated, but I sewed the sleeve seam, turned the shirt inside out and put the sleeve inside the shirt right sides together and then attached the sleeve to the shirt.  Does that make any sense at all?  Let's just move on to the pictures, shall we?

I debated putting the polka dot trim along the bottom hem too...

 and I used one of those adorable buttons for a matching hairbow.

Have I ever mentioned how much I LOVE ruffles?  And tea parties?


9 comments:

  1. WOW that's cute! You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you both! I'm not so sure about talented...persistent, maybe. It ALWAYS takes me a try or two (or three) to get something right! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ava finally got to wear her new dress from Aunt Jessica to church today. She wore her matching hair bow, too! She got rave reviews...everyone thought her dress was amazing...I told them all it was custom made for Ava by Designs from Aunt Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet Miss Ava was so cute! I'm so glad you guys like it! Pictures please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is cute as can be! Makes me want to get out my sewing machine and blow the dust off. I'm your new follower from FTLOB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ruffles and tea parties too :) What a cute blog you have. I'm a new folower from Magical Mondays. Can't wait to see more from you.

    www.theelephantstrunk42.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. so adorable! would love to be able to make something like this for my neice. lovely blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, THIS IS STINKING A-DORABLE!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...