Feb 21, 2011

28

Tomorrow, I officially leave my mid-twenties behind.  Why, hello there, late twenties.  Oh, I didn't notice the early thirties over there around the corner.  No big deal.

When I turned 25, I was not happy about it.  I felt like I was leaving my youth and fun behind, like all that awaited me were wrinkles and gray hairs.  As silly as it sounds, 25 just didn't sound young to me.

But then 26 and 27 crept up, and I decided that I could stay 25 and probably stop time.  The wrinkles and gray hairs could wait until I was done being young.  25+1 and 25+2 were pretty good years, except that time continued to march on.

So here I am, almost 28 (I am most definitely waiting until tomorrow to claim it), but I don't have the same feelings of melancholy and loss that I have felt for the past few years.  I feel a little excited.  There is still so much future out there, and I am thankful that I have a little more wisdom and maturity to throw at it.  I think I can safely say that my frontal lobe is now FULLY developed.

I feel a sense of accomplishment that I didn't feel when I turned 25+1 or 25+2.  I have a thriving toddler, a doting husband (he brought me lunch from Panera today, on his day off; I am way beyond spoiled), a career that I love, and friends and family who know me and accept me that way.  I am the first to admit that nothing is perfect, but when I look around me, I am confident and comfortable in my role. 

So bring on the wrinkles and gray hairs.  I will rock them (or Botox and pluck them).

11 comments:

  1. You are truly blessed!! Happy Birthday!!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday:) Enjoy your 28th year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a happy birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny! I love a woman who flaunts grays (but I'm sure you have a while before you have to worry about that, lol). Have a great birthday...you definitely have a lot to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that when I turn 28 (in 6 weeks) that I will have found the same confidence that you have. I am sad that my 20's are almost over since I have found them to be the most fun, productive, and learning times thus far! Major milestones hit in my 20's. What am I supposed to do in my 30's? What else is there to accomplish or to look forward to? hmmm...still pondering!
    But happy birthday and thanks for giving me something to think about and look forward to! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy (almost) birthday! I remember having similar feelings when I found myself in my late 20's, but might I add that the 30's are also great? I promise you...five years from now you'll find yourself facing new adventures and a ton of exciting, new memories to archive. Yes, the wrinkles and gray hairs will undoubtedly make their appearance, but it's such a small price to pay for living a good life. :)

    Have a great birthday tomorrow - happy YOU day!

    xo,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post. I turned 28 a few months ago and I, too, felt a sense of pride and accomplishment. I have, among other things, my health, my faith, a great family, and a career I absolutely love. What's there NOT to like about living and growing wiser?

    Have a Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to you all for your sweet words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Have a great birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, you silly girl! 28 is still plenty young :) I'm glad you're feeling positive about it and I hope 28 is your best year yet!

    P.s. I'm going to follow your blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...