Feb 26, 2011

new shoes

Cara has suddenly outgrown almost all of her clothes.  I guess that happens every now and then, especially if you are a wild toddler.  I refuse to buy more winter-ish clothing as I suspect spring is following close behind us, but shoes are kind of another story.  I believe in shoes.  Bad shoes can cause a very bad day.  The tired at the end of a long day is exacerbated by sad, tired, painful feet.  So, I am willing to spend some money on good shoes.  Fortunately, PJ is also willing, so we packed up and headed to Stride Rite this afternoon.

You would think that retail stores would want people to buy stuff, but Stride Rite is apparently a different type of store.  There are cute, expensive shoes everywhere, sparkles, light ups, velcros, elastic, but not one pair of these shoes fit my child.  The sales lady (who obviously knew all there is to know about toddler shoes) started off by insulting us.  "Wow, she has some fat feet!"  Really??  There are so many euphemisms for "fat!"  How about "chubby" or "chunky" or "lovable?"  Then, she insulted our parenting skills. "Oh, these shoes are way too small."  Yes, I admit that we are the bad parents who are shoving our poor child's feet into shoes that we suspect are too small.  THAT'S WHY WE'RE HERE. 

Miss Know It All About Shoes measured Cara's foot and told us that she was measuring at a size 6, which is what we thought.  But, she also told us that we would need to buy a size 6.5; otherwise, we'd be back here in a month to buy a bigger size.  Okay, fine.  Cara picked out a pair of shoes, and the sales lady went to the depths of the storeroom to find it.  An hour and a half later, she returned, not with the shoes we asked for, but with the ugliest, tackiest pair of shoes in the entire store in a 6.5 wide.  We put them on Cara, and they looked like clown shoes.  Cara tripped over her toes.  Of course.  Clearly, there was too much room in the front of those tacky, ugly shoes.  PJ mentioned that they looked too big, seemed too big, felt too big, but shoe goddess wouldn't budge.  We asked her to check on a few other pairs, maybe even in a 6, and three hours later, she returned empty handed.  She told us that none of the styles we wanted came in Cara's size and they wouldn't fit anyway because our daughter's foot is too fat for a Mary Jane style shoe.  We asked if she would check on a size 6 in anything, and she pretty much refused. 

Stride Rite, if you happen to read this, I want you know that you have the most ineffective sales people ever.  We walked in ready to drop some serious change on toddler shoes, and she basically refused to let us buy any.  But that's okay.  We went to Dillard's and found these (in a size 6) for less than half the price:

and they are so much cuter!

15 comments:

  1. The next time I pass Stride Rite I will have Abby and Jack boo the sales people! Baby Cara's feet are perfect and the new shoes are too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute shoes! We avoid Stride Rite at all costs as well. I've found if you really like a pair of Stride Rite shoes they sell them at Nordstrom. Boo yah, Stride Rite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! Thanks, Candice! I'm certain that a booing from Abby and Jack will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an annoying experience! Unhelpful/rude sales people are worse, in my opinion, than sales people that don't even try. The shoes you ended up with are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ew, how rude! I actually had a similar experience at our Stride Rite and I've vowed never to set foot in another one as long as I live. We LOVE Target's Converse line. Cara's shoes look a lot like them! Those are so cute!

    Oh, and I'm with you on spending $$ on quality kids' shoes. Ben gets a pair of New Balances each winter, even with the hefty price tag.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, give me the location of that store and I will make a trip up there to give that woman a piece of my mind. How dare her insult not only a willing customer but my children and grandchild. She better be careful......I know people in Lake City....(local joke)
    Cara's feet are precious! Just perfect for a 19 month toddler!
    Love you all,
    Bitsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! That sounds awful. Plus, Stride-Rite is WAY overpriced. Kids can't wear the same pair of shoes long enough to justify their prices. (Clearly, I spent too much time working at Payless). One quick tip- she should have about a thumbs width of toe room to grow into- any more than that and the shoes are too big.

    The shoes you got are adorable. Did they come in grown-up sizes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @spe: heck yeah! They are good ole classic Converse All Stars! Took me back to 6th grade in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. RUDE. I cannot stand rude sales people, and I'm glad you didn't shop there.
    The shoes you did get are super cute! Pink is my favorite color; I'd wear those myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I can't believe the nerve of some people... I mean, who calls a child's feet fat? Or ANYTHING related to a child FAT? That's ridiculous. I would never go there again & I'd probably have complained to the manager about the woman's entitled know it all behavior. It sounds like you guys handled it very gracefully, and I'm not sure I could have kept my patience with her.

    That said, at least you found something cute & right for your daughter... somewhere ELSE, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the shoes you picked in the end! They're adorable! I'm sorry about the sales lady though :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. UGH! How absolutely rude! It definitely worked out, because the shoes that y'all got are adorable!! I'm stopping by from FTLOB!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally hate it when others are so condesendingly judemental! If someone wants to buy some shoes....let them! I would have had some choice words that I wouldn't have the guts to say...but my husband would really know my feelings! Coming from FTLOB!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'd be so mad! I've never been to a Stride Rite, but I probably would've slapped the woman. Then again, I'm a pretty hot tempered momma. I blame the Irish in me. Those shoes you found are so cute! Good choice. =]

    [ps, just popping in from FTLOB. Nice to meet you.]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...