Feb 7, 2011

valentines?

Really?  Are we already there again?  Yes, Valentine's Day, blah.

It's not that I don't like cards or flowers or chocolate or jewelry.  I like all of those things; in fact, Valentine's day could be every day if I got one of those gifts every morning.  Seriously, I kind of like the idea that Valentine's day, however contrived and ridiculous the holiday may be, is a day to stop and tell the ones you love that you love them in a special way.  I get it.  I like it.  The stressful, blah, eye-rolling part is the Valentines for Cara's class.

I know, I know.  I am a big, fat party pooper.  Last year, when Cara was 7 months old, it didn't even occur to me to get Valentines for her class.  The babies couldn't eat the chocolate, smell the flowers, or wear the jewelry, so I didn't really think Valentines were necessary for the infant class.  Well, I was wrong; all the good mommies get Valentines for their babies' classes.  I ordered some V-day rubber duckies from Oriental Trading Company and called it a (Valentine's) day.  No biggie.  It's not like those babies would remember any of that anway.

However, this year, I am really feeling the pressure.  I keep getting the reminders sent home about the Valentine's day cupcakes and juiceboxes and "we have 10 friends in our class" and "here is a list of all their names."  Eeek!  And I can't just BUY Valentines.  I'm not sure why not, but I am certain that buying Valentines would bring serious emotional consequences crashing down on the children.  Somehow. 

Perhaps I am being too hard on myself, maybe even a little irrational about all of this.  It's just that there is a lot of pressure on mommies to always know the answer and get it right.  Mommies are supposed to have it together enough to send cupcakes to the Valentine's day party, make a special Valentine for each sweet toddler in the class, and find someone to cover their classes so that they can attend the toddler Valentine's day party and make it back in time for department meetings. 

I can pretty much guarantee that two of those things aren't going to happen.  And that's okay.

7 comments:

  1. Seriously, I have no idea how you mommies balance and juggle your lives without having to worry about Valentines for babies! Yes, in theory, it's a cute idea and one that the kids will enjoy when they're old enough to understand, but yikes...I feel the pressure and obligation just reading your post, and I'm not even a mom! I don't blame (or judge!) you for the dread in this overly-commercialized "holiday". :( I'm all for love, but the whole obligation of it all kind of takes the fun out of it!

    Make sure to take photos of your handmade cards and your delicious, carefully decorated cupcakes, ok? I'm SO KIDDING. ;)

    Hang in there!

    xo,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year, I let Penn pick out some of his stuffed animals that he was willing to part with and we're giving those to some friends for V-day. With a note: You are a "beary" special Valentine. Some "bunny" loves you. You get it. We have a lot of bears and bunnies around here. Last year, we just did photo cards. Nothing fancy...not even envelopes:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimberly, that is such a good idea! I am in awe of your skills. Seriously. What a great way to teach your children about giving and loving others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. crazy stuff * *

    PS. passing the Stylish Blogger Award to u deserving u! check my site to grab award & share :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just posted about the same topic but sort of from the opposite perspective. My son's class is a bit limiting in what you can do for valentine's day which bummed me out. I'm not talking majorly personalized valentines for each kid but you should at least be able to write the kid's name on it...sheesh! However, my son is also almost 5 so I think valentine's at your baby's age are a little over the top. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I linked your post in a recent post of mine about Valentines in the toddler classroom. Hope you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course not! Thank you, Gerri! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...