Apr 17, 2011

time out, mommy

Last week, my Sunday school class got together for lunch after church. We've all known each other for a good, long while, and most families are currently baking a kid or have one/some.  In other words, we could fill a small daycare.  It's been really awesome to have these families around because I feel a little less crazy.

"Oh, your child also eats boogers.  Good, I'm glad Cara's not the only one who does that."

So, after lunch, the little ones were running all around the room, working off that extra toddler energy when I noticed that Cara was starting up the stairs to the stage with all of the sound equipment on it.  Not the ideal place for a wild toddler.  I picked her up off the stairs and tried to redirect her to play with another child, but unfortunately, she is nothing if not persistent, so the babe ended up in time out.  I sat her on the floor for time out, and she stayed exactly where I put her, listened to my speech about "here's why you're in time out" and hugged and kissed me in the end.  Man, she makes me look good.

Except when she immediately goes back to the stairs.  *big mom sigh*

This time, I took her away from where the other children were playing and sat her near the adults for time out.  Same thing, she sat quietly, we had the talk and the kisses, and she ran off to play (or climb back on the stairs...I let daddy handle it this time).  So after Cara scampered away, another mommy of a not-quite-walker asked me an innocent question: "How did you learn to do that?  Did you read a book or something?"

Here is where I stop and cringe.  The answer choices are:

A) I wrote a blog post or two about toddler discipline and how bad I sucked at it, and then I took the advice people left me in the comments

or

B) I watched a few episodes of Supernanny and tried that.  It worked better than saying "no" over and over and being ignored

or

C) I'm flying by the seat of my pants.  I have no idea what I'm doing.  Cara is actually the one in charge here.

To help you figure out the answer, we're going to return to boogers.  As in, Cara has recently learned to pick her nose.  Such ladylike behavior.  She especially likes to do it in the car when she knows that no one can really get to her.  So, the other day, PJ was driving and I was riding and Cara was digging.  I reached back to her, pulled her little finger out of her little nose, and told her "mommy said no picking your nose."  And she said, "NO!  Time out, mommy."

9 comments:

  1. You are a great Mom! So glad to call you friend and be in this "adventure" of parenting with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am here visiting from comment love. Don't you wish little ones came with directions? I had three daughters and what worked on one didn't work with the other and vice versa...it will all work out and you will have this beautiful young lady someday who will laugh when you tell her how she use to eat her boogers! :) (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing a great job; it must have felt really good to have someone ask for your advice!! None of us know what we're doing; we just try to look we do in public and then cry when we get home ;) You're a rock star

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love posts like this because they make me feel so much better about not knowing what the heck I'm doing raising this little person! I, too, just do my best -- it's all we can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is mostly flying by the seat of your pants when the kids are little, isn't it? But my babies are now 19 and 13, so I can tell you that you will all survive. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol!! I think we all learn from a combination of those things you listed. Parenting is truly a learn as you go kind of thing, and picking up all the tips you go along is the best thing to do. I bet those moms at the park with you will have a new trick to try with their kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! When my son tells me I need a 'time out' ... I happily take it! It may be my only break! haha ... Each mom has to figure out what works for their kids. And generally, as soon as you figure it out, it changes! Enjoy every moment! Even the ones where they are picking their nose and telling you to go to time out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing like your little one telling you to go to time out. I've been there many times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. kids are a great reality check huh? And my boys totally pick their noses....good luck ending that bad habit...but if you do...can you post about it so I can see? That would be awesome!!!

    april
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...