May 17, 2011

may = medical emergencies

(The post title might be a bit overdramatic.  Maybe.)

What is it about May that seems to bring on strange illnesses?  I would think that May would be the healthiest month with all of the sunshine and warmth.  The pollen levels seem a little lower; it's like OUTSIDE just calls our names. How is it even possible to be sick in May?

Last May, Cara had a crazy rash that thoroughly freaked me out.  Our doctor told us not to worry, so I left his practice.  How could anyone NOT worry about a child who randomly woke up looking like this:

not cool

Until today, the rash was the craziest medical issue that Cara has had.  I know that means we are very, very, very lucky.  Last weekend, we had a mild fever scare.  Cara and I went to visit my mom for her birthday, and we went to a vineyard in Myrtle Beach for a picnic.  The toddler woke up from her nap in the car with a blazing fever.  She was really lethargic and clingy, which is highly unusual; Cara is typically trying to run away from me as fast as possible!  We ended up in urgent care with ear infections, but the antibiotic seemed to clear everything up pretty quickly.  As we were leaving to head home on Sunday, I noticed that Cara had a bump on her bottom that seemed to be bothering her a little.  By today, the  bump was the size of a nickel and really, really hard, and it was bothering Cara more than just a little; she barely even wanted to sit down.  So sad.  Her teacher at daycare thought it might be a spider bite (google spider bite pictures and just try not to get freaked out).  I took her to the doctor today, and I couldn't believe what he told me.  I actually thought he was kidding at first.  I felt like the worst mother in the world.  My child has a MRSA abscess on her bottom.

Do you know what the treatment is for this?  A surgeon has to cut it open and drain the infection.  Gross, gross, gross.  And surgery??  I am freaking out a little, even though the doctor assured me that there was nothing I could have done to prevent this, and really, there is nothing I can do to keep this from happening again.  He said it is kind of like ringworm.  It seems gross, but it's everywhere, and it doesn't mean that anyone did anything wrong (unless you are letting your child play with poop.  Clearly, that is wrong.).

So send up a little prayer for Baby Cara (and her freaked out mommy) around 12:30 tomorrow.  I'm spending the next few days snuggling with my girl.

14 comments:

  1. Oh no! I pray that everything goes smoothly tomorrow for her and you- no wonder she was getting all puny again after the picnic Sunday. Feel better, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know if there's anything you need or anything we can do! Will be praying for your precious girl. Hugs to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys! I'm telling myself that this is not a huge deal, but I'm actually pretty nervous. All the prayers are so appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, poor baby and poor momma. :( I will be praying for you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, you must be beside yourself! It is always so sad when we have to deal with our babies feeling yucky...but surgery??? Lots of prayers for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Lisa and Dwija! And truly there is nothing more sad than a baby who feels yucky. Fortunately, I think we'll all be on the mend after tomorrow! Thank you for the prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. Lots of prayers for you. Fevers and ear infections are no fun, but the thought of cutting and draining an abscess is so sad. Sending you good thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life is certainly unexpected when there are children involved. But the doctor is right and sometimes you just can't keep your baby in a bubble! Many prayers going up for you and Cara ... all will be well and can't wait to hear the good news!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll definitely be praying for you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh poor little Cara, and poor mummy! It's often the parents who find these things harder to deal with than the child.

    My little one has been in surgery a ton of times, it's scary, no point lying, but they never do it unless they really have to, will be thinking of you both.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jessica! :( I read this post on my phone earlier in the day and I wasn't able to comment, but holy cow! Poor Cara! I read your previous post from last May; can't tell you how glad I was to read that you left his practice. I'm so sorry your sweet little girl has to go through this; I have heard how painful MRSA can be. :( I will be thinking of and praying for you both. Please keep us posted on the procedure.

    Big hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Jessica. That is just crazy. I'm praying for the surgery to go well and for you to feel as calm as possible through it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man, I'm just reading this so she's already fine and snuggling and probably feeling much better, but I hope your day went okay! Poor thing (and poor you!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! I would be freaked out too! Sending prayers your way!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...