May 11, 2011

today is awesome

We had a really bad storm late last night.  Bad enough that I woke up and wondered if I should grab my sleeping toddler out of her crib and camp out in the bathtub.  Those tornados in Alabama freaked me out a little.  We were fortunate that we only lost power for a moment and no falling trees/limbs damaged our house or cars.

Cara's school was not so lucky.  An awning from a garage or a patio or something landed across their main power lines on the street.  They also had some water damage, so they were closed today.  And it seems fitting that I didn't find out that they were closed until I was on my way to drop Cara off and go to work.  Thank goodness my school was on a two hour delay.

I had a long moment of panic because I have no Plan B.  My dad is in town, but he works too, and my hubby was already at work 30 minutes away.  I felt like it would be unlikely that I would find a college student willing to babysit all day on short notice who was actually awake at 8 in the morning.  So, baby Cara went to high school for a little while so that I could get my classroom ready for a sub.

In the back of my mind, I wondered what would happen if I couldn't find a sub.  I guess Cara would have stayed with me in my classroom all day?  That might have worked out okay until around 11:30 when Cara would start to need a nap.  Perfect lesson in birth control.

Fortunately, I am now sitting at home drinking another cup of coffee while Cara watches Dinosaur Train (I do not understand that show.  Dinosaurs on a train???).  Today is awesome.

9 comments:

  1. I'm jealous! Noah's school was canceled too and I had to run him over to Joe's mom's house before I headed to school (at 10)! Don't forget that you've got friends around- Kerri and Stephanie are home most of the time (do you like how I just volunteered them as your child care? I do.) and Cara could have always come with Noah to Joe's mama's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your day at home with your little one! I always struggled with childcare too, because with teaching, you can't just call in. I'm glad you had those 2 hours :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a crazy morning! I am glad it ended with you at home with your little one! I could have helped you out this morning and really any morning because my last day as a long term sub was Friday.
    Side note: I was freaked me out a little by the storm last night too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That storm was insane. Blue (the alpha male pup) was shaking with fear and using me as a human shield. Our yard and driveway are covered in limbs and our neighbors lost a large tree. Fortunately, it fell into the street and not ON anything. We also were out of power until about 10 am! Glad you guys stayed safe!

    Also- in a pinch, you can try calling me to babysit. I work at home and can take my laptop anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't get that show either, Lol. Glad everything worked out and you are able to be home with your sweet little one. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you guys are safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad it all worked out for you in the end. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So funny. I was TOTALLY going to comment and tell you that I am home Wednesday thru Friday, but Laura did that for me:) haha! PLEASE, PLEASE call me if you need help. I know how it is when you need help, and can't find it. Case and Tanner would love the company!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kids would LOVE it. They would definitely take turns going to the bathroom from their other classes to babysit. I think you could have made a schedule and they definitely would have been more punctual for that than for any work you have ever assigned. And Cara's too cute to be birth control ;) They'd all say, I want one! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...