Jun 8, 2011

embracing the changes

This always happens to me.  As soon as I think I have decided something, I realize that I may have to change my mind.  I hate that.

Remember that post about the toddler bed?  After considering all the advice and experiences everyone offered up, I had decided to keep Cara in her crib for a little while longer.  No rush, right?  Except that ever since I posted that, PJ and I have noticed a lot of banging noises coming from the baby monitor after we tucked Cara in for night.  We joke about what she might really be doing in there, but I think there are only two logical explanations for the noise:  1) she is kicking the drop side of her crib because it makes the more noise than the other sides or 2) she is actually trying to climb out.  Crap.  Either way, the crib is becoming a distraction from sleeping.

**********

The other day, Cara and I were killing some time at Target, and we stopped over by the big girl panties.  We stared for a few minutes, and then I asked Cara if she wanted some big girl panties, and she said "of course I do, mom.  But I only want the princess panties." (Maybe those weren't her exact words; I'm paraphrasing here.)  When her daddy came home, she was carrying a pair of panties around the house with her, and I think it caught him off guard a bit.  PJ said it made him sad to see that.  The little pairs of panties are washed and neatly folded in her drawer, just waiting on her.

**********

I feel like I'm at a point where I need to decide whether to move ahead or stay here.  We can take the side off the crib and lower the mattress and we can start potty training, or we can stay.  What's funny is that I need to make this decision in several areas of my life all at once, in my career, in my relationships.  The problem is that I am not a drifter; I don't wait for things to magically just happen.  But I am also very afraid of screwing things up.  Or making the wrong choice.  Of moving too quickly, of jumping in without looking carefully first.  I guess it seems pretty silly to be talking this way about potty training and toddler beds, but the parts represent the whole.  I think it's time to find my courage and move forward and embrace the change.

**********

6 comments:

  1. Awwww...Mommy...time marches on. When it comes to potty training, you have to make a choice that is based on your parenting style. Do you tend to put the child at the center, or the parents? At our house, the parents are in the center, which means, the kids follow our lead...we look for the signs, and then prod in the direction we need them to go. If you tend to be more child centered, then you wait for her to ask or try to do it on her own. Either way, I have yet to run into a 13 year old that isn't potty trained...or even a 5 or 6 year old for that matter. But, I do look at the 3-4 yr olds who are still in training pants a bit dubiously. I think, "What are the parents waiting for?".

    As a proponent of children following the parent's lead I say you begin the nudge. If they resist, you settle down and encourage and continue to give them the opportunity.

    You guys will do the right thing, either way. Keep up the good work.

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know just how you feel, mama. So hard to see our little nuggets growing into big chickens...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided everything parent related while I was pregnant. And I've been changing my mind ever since my boy was born. LOL Funny how life gets in the way of all these decisions! I put mine in a toddler bed at 23 months and reconstucted the crib 2 weeks later. I also started potty training in February (24 months) with little success. So it's on the back burner... for now.

    Maybe tomorrow will be the day to start ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The panties thing made me sad too. But trust me when I say there will be plenty of time for "accidents" and pull ups and diapers in the coming months even if she does take to the potty. LOL.

    These things are truly bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really relate to the fear thing. I feel the same way. Good for you for going with the flow with your daughter. No rush with those decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, don't be so hard on yourself, girl. :) take your time and enjoy the ride as much as you can. these milestones will happen naturally - whatever you do, i'd only tackle ONE at a time. if it were me, i'd do the bed first. when you actually see her start climbing, it's time.

    i just took the side off the crib to start with both my boys to ease into the transition.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...