Jun 27, 2011

garden goodness {with a recipe}

My friends Jillian and Melissa came over to hang out and play baby today, and they both got sent home with a handful of basil because my garden is out of control.  Jillian looked at it and said, "I can't believe you haven't blogged about this yet."  So now I am.

We planted our little garden back in April right before Easter because my great-grandaddy always planted his gardens around Easter to avoid the frost.  I was such a proud little garden mama.

They were such babies.

We have tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumber, peppers, jalopeno, cantelope (which turned out to be more cucumber), and variety of herbs.  I almost thought we didn't put enough in our little vegetable patch, but now I'm beginning to think we overdid it a little...

This shot is a slightly different angle, but I think you get the point. 

Things are a little out of control in there.  I am amazed at how big everything got, but this is my first vegetable gardening experience, so what do I know anyway.  I have to admit, though, as a garden mama, that I am a little embarrassed by the behavior of some of my vegetables.


It might be a little hard to tell exactly what you're looking at in that picture, but basically, the cucumber took out the cilantro.  That poor cilantro was trying to stay upright, but those cucumber vines will not be stopped.  I'm half afraid to reach in there to pull weeds or pick anything because it might just grab me and take me down too.

All of this garden craziness happened while we were on vacation.  We came back and had lots of baby tomatoes and cucumbers (which might be all we have if those naughty cucumbers don't start behaving); in fact, three tomatoes should be ready in the next few days and one huge cucumber was seriously ready to go.  I also realized that we had four overripe tomatoes in the fridge that absolutely had to be eaten now (tomato overload!).  I decided to make our favorite veggie dip and share it with you all.  This recipe was given to me a few years ago, and I honestly can't remember the circumstances or who should really get credit for this deliciousness.  Sorry.  But I am happy to spread the yum.

Use Up Your Cucumbers and Tomatoes Veggie Dip

Gather your ingredients:


You will need:  corn, black beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, vinegar, and Good Seasonings italian dressing mix. (side note:  there are some crazy ingredients in that dressing mix...guar gum??? BUT, it makes this dip so delicious.  I deal.)

Add your corn.


Add your black beans.


Add your cucumber.  It's best to chop the veggies pretty small so that they will fit on your chips.


Add tomatoes and a little dash of salt and pepper.


Add the red onions.


Follow the package directions to mix the dressing.  Pour it over the veggies and stir well.


Pile it on a tortilla chip.  Yum.




6 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great, except for the bad cucumbers. ;) The recipe sounds yummy and I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cucs got out of control too but now I've got them climbing up some trellises- MUCH easier to deal with them now and they're not taking anything over anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really yummy! I don't have a garden but a quick trip to the market will help me out with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks great! I am a first time gardener this year also so I have tomatoes a plenty. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    Don't get lost in your veggie jungle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. It's one in the morning, and I should be going to bed, but instead I'm looking at your delicious food and my stomach is grumbling. I (surprisingly!) have all the ingredients for this, and will totally be making it in the morning!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...