Jul 16, 2011

thank goodness for nap time

Today has been a rough day, and I think it's mostly my fault.  Grrr...

I woke up a grump this morning, I think because I knew my husband was going to be gone all day.  He is out of town doing a good deed, but I miss him anyway.  He was so sweet all morning, letting me sleep in a little, bringing me coffee, fixing breakfast, playing with Cara.  I just couldn't shake the fuzzies in my head quick enough.  Cara seemed to be in a good mood, though, so I hoped for the best as my hubby left.

Things were okay for a little while, but then Cara remembered that she learned how to open up the storage ottoman the other day, and, boy did she want to get in there again.  She was not happy at all that I wouldn't let her play with our long lost coasters and Wii remotes.  Three outfit changes later (actual clothing to a Belle dress to just a t-shirt), and things had only gotten worse; the incessant clinging and whining were almost enough to send me over to insanity.  I could tell nap time was getting close, so I made lunch, thinking that would soothe the fussiness a little.  Cara didn't want to sit in a chair like a big girl, she didn't want to sit in her highchair with the tray, and she certainly didn't want to sit in her highchair pushed up to the table.  She wanted to sit in my lap to eat lunch.  Once I was sufficently covered in Cara's lunch, I was feeling very thankful for nap time.  Except that Cara got out of her bed three times.  I had to sternly tell her to STAY IN THE BED before she finally stayed in the bed and fell asleep.  At least I managed to get a shower while she slept.

I hate that I couldn't get over myself this morning and do something other than say "no" to my child, and I'm pretty sure my grumpy mood transferred over to her.    I'm resolving that this afternoon will. be. better.  Never too late to start fresh, right?

9 comments:

  1. I hope your afternoon DID turn out better! And I think we have ALL had those days. Know just what you mean, sweetie...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thank goodness for starting over! I have this issue more often than I would like too. Hope things got better after the nap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting from FTLOB - love the title of your blog and feeling your pain right now. Not as a mother, but as a new au pair overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes!! We had one of those days this past Thursday. No matter what my 27 month old was fussy & whiny. Then finally he went to sleep!!!

    Stopping by from FTLOB and had to follow as well ;-)
    Lala
    http://esmerlala30.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have those moments more often then I care to admit, those moments were naptime cannot come quick enough. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you. I wish everyday I could just turn to the motherhood manual. Don't feel guilty, we are all on the same boat and what matters is that we are doing the best we can. Thank you for stopping by. LOVE your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah...been there! You hung in there like a trooper though. I hope your day turned around eventually, but at least it's over with now! Here's to better days ahead:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes when we have one of those miserable mornings, if thiings are going really badly, I give them an impromptu bath. They both love it so much, and it's such a surprise in the middle of the day like a treat, that it usually changes their bad attitudes (well, it's usually Jackson who am I kidding?) and gives us a fresh start. Just a suggestion if you ever need a break!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I hope everything DID turn out better! Sometimes it's just nice to have a grumpy morning - though I understand how hard it is to act like that around others :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...