Dec 21, 2011

through the eyes of a child


The Christmas season has always been one of my favorite times of the year.  I like the preparation, the music, the candles, the lights, the warm fires, the whole package just gives me the warm fuzzies.  My childhood Christmases were full of family and traditions, and I cherish those memories, but as an adult, the Christmas season is...different.  Trying to hang on to traditions as families grow and change can become almost stressful, and making decisions about how to create traditions and warm memories for my own family can be a little daunting (and the Santa thing is only a small piece of that).  I feel like I lost a little of the magic and awe of Christmas for a few years.  I became consumed by logistics and lists and traveling and schedules and...and...and...

However, this year, Cara gets it.  She knows who Mary, Joseph, and Baby Jesus are, and she also knows who Rudolph, Frosty, and Santa are.  She sings the songs.  She points out the lights decorating the houses with such joy and excitement that it's simply contagious.  Her delight at seeing our Christmas tree through the window when we pull into our driveway brings back that magic for me too.  I want to point out all of the Christmas magic I can for her because it's all new again.  I had forgotten how truly wonderful this season of celebration is, and it took my two-year-old's innocence and joy to remind me.

3 comments:

  1. There is no real Christmas at my house without a nativity. How darling is yours. Proud moment there to see our kids get it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the little people nativity as well. My older one is infatuated this year with spotting baby Jesus & mary out and about. I love it! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abigail just got that same little nativity too! she LOVES it! and while she is still young to understand everything, she def knows the "characters" of Christmas and loves putting baby Jesus in his manger and loves playing with his mommy and daddy. :) SO sweet. it def makes our Christmases as parents even more special!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...