Jan 2, 2012

vegetarian shepards pie

I have been doing a lot of reading lately on becoming vegan...and I have decided that this is probably not for me. :-) However, I have absorbed a lot of the advice and guidance on nutrition, balance, health, and variety, and I really want to start cooking vegetarian meals more often.  What pregnant chick doesn't need a few more vegetables in her life?  This one came to me the other day and it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.  Perfect combination of veggies and comfort.  (I'm sure I'm not the first to whip this up; there are tons of shepards pie recipes on the internetz.  This is just how I did it.)

Side note:  I try to use mostly organic ingredients.  The fewer pesticides and genetic modifications, the better.


To serve 4 and 1/2 people, you will need:
2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced (or not peeled if that's how you like your mashed potatoes)
3 to 4 carrots, peeled and diced (I used 4 because the child LOVES carrots)
1/2 onion, diced
1 clove garlic, diced
1 package of baby bella mushrooms, sliced
a cup or so of frozen green peas
a few good tablespoons soy sauce (reduced sodium if you can)
2 to 3 spoonfuls of plain yogurt
salt and pepper
cajun seasoning (or paprika or some other type of spice that suits your fancy)
shredded cheddar

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Put the potatoes in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil.  Let them boil until they are pretty soft (10 to 15 minutes or so).
  2. Heat a little olive oil over medium heat (I used my cast iron skillet to add a little iron boost since my levels were low at my last doctor's appointment) and add the onions, carrots, and garlic.  Stir and cook for a minute or two.
  3. Add mushrooms.  Stir and cook for another minute or two.
  4. Add peas.  Oh yeah, stir and cook for another minute or two. 
  5. Add the soy sauce.  You could measure this out, but I just went around my pan once.  Let the veggies cook with the soy sauce for a few more minutes, until the mushrooms start to look softened.  The carrots will keep a tiny bit of their crunch.  Pour the veggies mixture into a casserole dish.
  6. Hopefully, your potatoes are ready to be mashed now!  At this point, you could add pretty much whatever you usually use in your mashed potatoes.  We had some plain yogurt in the fridge, but sour cream would be delicious, as would some good old butter and milk.  Don't forget to add some salt and pepper too!
  7. Spoon the mashed potatoes over the veggies.  Sprinkle a little cajun seasoning/paprika/whatever on top and add a thin layer of shredded cheese.  (I went very light on the cheese.)
  8. Bake for 15 minutes and then devour.
The toddler ate it, so it must have been good.  She doesn't hesitate to tell me when dinner is "disgusting."  Score one for mom!

6 comments:

  1. I want to try this. I want to incorporate more veg meals during the week this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to let me know how it goes over with your boys! I was actually a little surprised that Cara was into it, but there were no complaints tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to make a veggie shepards pie forever, but have always imagined it to be complicated. This looks straight forward and delicious. I'll definitely be trying this in the future! Adorable blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tara! And this meal was definitely super easy. The hardest part is probably prepping the veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! I have been wanting to try my hand at Shepard's Pie. Now you've convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I love a good veggie pie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...