I think someone was not interested in having her picture taken this morning...
You may (or may not) remember that after I made Cara's Christmas outfits, I decided that I needed to expand my sewing wings a bit and try out some new patterns. I had made a thousand variations of pretty much the same couple of dresses and skirts, and it was definitely time to move on to a new challenge. Enter the Oliver and S Tea Party Dress!
I actually bought this pattern because 1) it would force me to work with some buttonholes, and 2) it has a playsuit/john john pattern with it. And yes, I have every intention of making some matching outfits for these children...poor Colin! :-)
Even though the pattern says that it should be easy, I decided to use fabric I didn't spend any money on for my first attempt. I found a cute fabric combination in my stacks of scraps, and I think that red farmhouse print might be old enough to qualify as "vintage." Anyway, I'm really, really glad I did a test run on this one because this pattern was not very forgiving. There is no elastic or gathering to hide mistakes, and the pattern directions stress being precise and not getting frustrated. It was hard not to get frustrated the third time I attempted to sew the skirt to the bodice without getting a lot of puckering, and in the end, I decided it was good enough. I'm sure it will get easier the next time I try this one!
Yay for buttonholes! Boo for puckering!