Apr 6, 2012

home alone



...but not really. PJ headed back to the office this week, so I was home alone with my baby boy.  We have been trying to keep Cara in her normal routine as much as possible, so she has been going to school.  Honestly, I am still *building confidence* in my ability to handle two children, so I'm counting getting us all fed, dressed, and in the car to drop Cara off with her friends at school as a success each day. :-)

So Colin and I have been hanging out and getting to know each other.  I now know that (for the moment) Colin likes:
  • taking naps with me in my bed
  • hanging out in the Ergo (especially while I vaccuum)
  • looking out the big window in our living room
  • going on walks
  • nursing (all day, every day)
Colin does not seem to like:
  • being in the bouncy seat while awake
  • taking naps in his cradle (although he sleeps well here at night)
  • spending very long in his car seat
  • having lots of kids surround him when I take Cara to school or pick her up
Obviously, newborns like to remain a little mysterious, so now that I have put this list in writing, Colin will probably decide to change it up on me.

I have wondered how I would manage to get anything done and take care of a newborn, but I'm happy to report that I managed several trips out of the house.  The first errand was for some "essentials" from Target, and I left Colin in his car seat while we shopped.  Unfortunately, by the time we got to the check out, he was over it and telling anyone who would listen.  I hated to see him upset like that, but I also felt bad for everyone else in the world who had to listen to my baby cry.  So, for grocery shopping the next day, Colin rode in the Ergo, and everything was perfect.  He quickly fell asleep, and I didn't have to rush through my grocery shopping.  So. much. easier.

Not everything is easy.  There were a few days when I was so tired that I thought I wouldn't make it until bedtime, and then I realized that bedtime didn't really mean an end to mom duties since Colin is up every 2-3 hours during the night.  In fact, the realization that there isn't an end to mom duties makes me feel exhausted, but I keep reminding myself that this sweet stage of cuddles and naps together (and waking up at night) will end soon, and a new stage of even more cuteness will begin.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow, we have wondered how anyone copes with another child and a newborn! Sounds like your doing really well. Colin is so cute, congrats :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...