May 7, 2012

finding our groove

Colin is seven weeks old today, and I'm beginning to feel like we're getting the hang of this whole "two children" thing.  The days are sort of following a predictable pattern--I can't say "routine" because things only happen in order, not on time--and I feel a lot less stressed and perhaps even productive.  In fact, I have managed to complete a new sewing project and go to the grocery store all in one day.  Amazing.


Colin has started sleeping from 7 or 7:30 pm to about 3 am, waking up to eat, and then sleeping again until 6:30 or maybe even 7 if I'm lucky (I was today!).  It's amazing how going from two night wakings to one can make me feel almost normal again.  Yes, I can manage to go back to work next week if I only have to wake up once at night.

Naps are still a little iffy, but I know that Colin needs one after about an hour or an hour and a half of being awake.  I'm feeling particularly grateful as he is now on his second over-an-hour nap today.  When he gets these longer sleeps, he's so adorably happy, laughing and smiling at his mommy when she tickles his belly and kisses his cheeks.

We've gotten into the nursing groove too.  Colin's getting faster at eating and really good at cuddling.  I treasure these nursing sessions when he snuggles in and stares at me with those gorgeous dark eyes.


Cara is a sweet, patient big sister, although she doesn't always understand how to play with her baby brother.  She will put toys on his face, not realizing that he can't move them, but she loves to lay under the play gym with him and giggle with him.  This morning, she told me that Colin's crying makes her sad, and several times, she has tried to give him a pacifier when he's been crying.  I wonder if she remembers what life was like before her baby brother.

When she's not playing at big sister, Cara is really into imaginative play.  She creates these hilarious scenarios with her My Little Ponies in the bathtub that crack me up.  They have adventures, but they also get in trouble and go to time out.

Yesterday, we managed to get everyone dressed and to church almost on time.  Colin went to the nursery for the first time, and I only got paged once.  We even dared to head to our favorite Mexican restaurant after church, the first time we've attempted to go out to eat with both children.  And nothing disastrous happened.  It was actually pretty nice to get out of the house for a bit, to do something that felt normal.

The big test is coming.  PJ is taking pictures tonight, so it will be up to me to get these children to bed.  Alone.  All by myself.  I haven't attempted this one before, and I'm trying really hard not to be nervous.  They can smell fear It's all about confidence. :-)

10 comments:

  1. Good luck tonight. You may just surprise yourself with how capable you are. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We totally made it! :-) Colin joined Cara for reading time, and it was so cute to watch him listen to my voice. I always worry and get nervous, and then things are fine.

      Delete
  2. I did the "2 to bed" thing last week.... And it went surprisingly well! All 3 of us fell asleep in the room! Good luck, and yes... They can smell fear, like a Great White smells blood ;)

    www.keep-up-with-the-jones-family.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear things are settling for you a bit. Sleep and normalcy are such blessings. Hope all went well for bedtime last night :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep this post in mind! It's easy to know now that the first few weeks won't be how I'll always feel, but it's good to know that only 7 weeks in you're feeling somewhat on top of things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Somewhat" is the key word! I will say that the nap pattern has continued three days in a row (woohoo!!!) and it's so freeing to have idea of what to expect. You will be a great mommy of two, Courtney!

      Delete
  5. Granted, it has been a while since I have visited you over here (shameful, I know), but can I just say that my first two thoughts were (1) I can't believe Colin is already 7 weeks and (2) that photo of Cara in her pool? She seems so grown up!

    What a sweet sister she is already, expressing to you that Colin's crying makes her sad (kinda made me wanna put my hand to my heart; so precious).

    I won't pretend to know what it's like to have a 7-week old (let alone, children), but I love that you're finding your footing and things are going as well as they are. It's so admirable that you're still able to get the family out the door and to church on Sundays, too! That is wonderful - you should be proud of yourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh they are adorable! I laughed out loud at the "they can smell fear" bit. I wish I was still young enough that two hour long naps per day was totally acceptable. Sigh. Adulthood.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your children are so cute! Cara sounds like a wonderful big sister.I could totally cry hearing about naps, my two gave those up way to soon, for me anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...