May 25, 2012

on returning to work

Going back to work after I had Cara was devastatingly difficult.  I am aware that I sound a little melodramatic, but my life was different back then.  I was clinging to my "pre-mommy" life, still coaching cheerleading and trying to do everything I did before I had a baby.

And, yeah, that doesn't work.

Fortunately, circumstances have changed.  The second baby isn't quite the shock to the system that the first baby was (at least for me), and I have summer break to look forward to after only 11 work days.  In fact, I only have three days left.  WooHoo!  I think there are a few other reasons why being a working mom has felt a little easier this go around (and who doesn't love a list??):

1.  I love my job.  A little time off makes the heart grow fonder, or something like that.  I missed my coworkers and my kids, but I also missed the sense of accomplishment that comes with working.  Staying at home with the babies is fun, don't get me wrong, but teaching is also a big part of who I am.

2.  I have my creative outlet.  I have spent quite a few evenings sewing, which, as I've said before, is like therapy for me.  I haven't been working on anything even remotely complicated, but the cute factor is still pretty high, if you ask me.


Almost three is an adorable age.

because clearly, one top is never enough...


3.  Breastfeeding and pumping have not been as stressful this time.  With Cara, I was constantly worried about my supply.  I stretched myself really thin, and I eventually gave up pumping and breastfeeding to add some extra time to my day.  I just couldn't juggle everything.  This time, I'm not nearly so busy.  However, my schedule at work means that I can only manage to pump once, and after my first week, I was a little worried.  Fortunately, I have a dear friend who is a lactation consultant, and she didn't mind handing out some free advice via email.  (Thanks, Courtney!)  I started pumping in the morning about an hour before Colin wakes up and before I go to bed, and all my supply worries vanished.  

4.  Dry shampoo.  Who needs showers?  Okay, seriously, I still take some showers, but I don't have to wash my hair and fix it every day.  And there are so many other things I would rather do than spend an hour taking a shower and getting ready.  Like sleep.  Or watch Dancing with the Stars.

5.  PJ and I are trying really hard to work together.  I think this is the most important reason why going back to work has been easier.  It wasn't that we weren't trying when Cara was born, but we didn't know what on earth was going on.  I was a crazy person, and I didn't know what to do to make things easier.  This time, we have doubled the number of children, but we also know a little better how to handle them.  Experience and a date night or two have made all the difference for us.  

And in case you need a good dose of baby cuteness, here you go:


9 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Super cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your supply has picked back up and that you are almost on summer break! I have one more busy week at work and then quiet weeks until baby comes! (My guess is about 3 more weeks)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on, baby Cora!! :-) Enjoy those quiet weeks. How is Jack adjusting to the idea of a baby sister?

      Delete
  3. We have more in common than I knew! I used to coach cheerleading and teach English, too--I just can't imagine doing it all with little ones!! You're amazing, and the school year will be over before you know it. You must be so proud that you're doing it all. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome and funny that our former lives were so similar! :-) I'm definitely not doing it all (like showering, haha); only what I want to do.

      Delete
  4. Those pics of Cara "modeling" are too cute for words! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's not the willing model she once was but still just as adorable!

      Delete
  5. Jessica, I have enjoyed "cruzing" your blog today. I found you from the Colletterie post today. I relate with you soo much. I have a 3 yr old daughter and an 8 mos. old son. I'm not a teacher but a Speech Therapist and though it hurts to go back to work, I also enjoy my co-workers, students and job. You inspire me to try harder to get back to sewing. My Christmas present was also the Collette sewing book but I'm usually so tired by the time the kids are in bed, that I do more looking at other's sewing. I'm going to get to it today and hopefully start up my blog again. Loved your 3 Collette creations so far. Look forward to seeing more :) oh, and I own dry shampoo too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...