Jun 6, 2012

180 degrees

Toddlers (is almost three still even considered "toddler?") have an uncanny ability to perform a complete personality switch in the blink of an eye. Clark Kent goes in and Superman comes out, except really, it's Superman's whiny, defiant, mischievous twin who is also an almost three-year-old girl.

Who would ever think that any mischief could possibly lie behind that sweet face?

For example, yesterday was about as close to toddler perfection as anyone could desire. Cara spent the morning as a purple fairy, complete with wings and a tutu. When I served her a PB and J with grapes and yogurt for lunch, she told me those were all her favorite foods and cleaned her plate. She took a peaceful two hour nap at the same time as her brother (!!). She frolicked at the park, making friends and picking flowers as sweet tarts rained down from the sky. (Okay, so that last part didn't actually happen...) She helped me make a homemade pizza for dinner. I soo wish I could have gotten some pictures of her pressing the dough into a circle, but my hands were covered with flour. All in all, yesterday was totally awesome and I was a little sad about promising that she could go to school and play with her friends today.

That is until today happened. Within an hour of waking up, Cara had painted the wall purple, smothered her brother with a stuffed bear, and called the trash can a bitch.

Can we pause here for a moment? Number one, what did the trash can do to warrant such verbal attack, and number two, where on Earth did she learn this word?? And why did I have such a hard time NOT LAUGHING as I tried to explain that "we don't say that word."

Arrrghh...

I might have been a teensy bit glad to let her go to school and play with her friends today, especially because it seems that my sweet fairy returned. Who knows who we'll get tomorrow!

7 comments:

  1. Oh my...so funny (for me). Penn walked in the dining room one day where our dog, Belle had had an accident and he said, "Holy Shit!" When I asked him why he said it, he said, "Daddy always says that word when something goes wrong." They catch on quick, don't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I'm glad it's not just me!

      When I asked Cara where she heard that word, her answer was "Colin." Um, yeah...

      Delete
  2. I'm laughing out loud about the trash can! Sooo funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still laughing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! Only because I have lived it too! This past weekend, Clayton, who was being told to stop bothering his sister, told Patrick "What the hell, Dad?". I love how they actually use these words in context!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's inevitable. I would have loved to see the look on Clayton's daddy's face, though! I'll bet it was priceless. :-)

      Delete
  5. Ha love it! My little man is the same way! Doesn't it just make you crazy :) He is especially unpredictable when I wake him in the morning. He may sweet and cuddly or he may thrash at me and scream. Never know how may day is going to start!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...