Jun 13, 2012

meringue

Back when I was enormously pregnant, I asked for the Colette Sewing Handbook for Christmas, and my awesome husband obliged.  (He's always glad for me to actually tell him what I want instead of making him guess.)
via Amazon

I can't tell you how excited I was to get this book, especially because it has five patterns included.  I have read it at least four times, cover to cover; the pictures are beautiful, and the instructions and techniques are clearly explained.  Even though I have been sewing for a good little while now, I have learned so much from this book.  I tend to go at it on my own most of the time, but I feel like I'm going to produce more professional-looking clothes thanks to this book.

Now that I am no longer enormously pregnant, I figured it was time to pull out one of those patterns and get started.  I have only made two dresses for myself (here and here), so I definitely want to learn more about sewing my own clothing and getting a beautiful fit.  I think fit is the part that intimidates me the most about sewing my own clothes, but the Colette Sewing Handbook makes even that seem simple.  Time consuming, maybe, but easily accomplished.

The first pattern in the book is the Meringue skirt, so that's where I started:

please excuse my wrinkles; it had been a long day! :-)


I really like the structured, A-line look of this skirt, and the scalloped hem makes it a little extra special.  I actually made a muslin for this skirt, which is something I have never taken the time to do before.  I thought I might have to make some adjustments to the waist since I'm not really back to fighting form yet, but this pattern was forgiving and flattering.  It only made me that much more excited to get started on the other four patterns in the book!

An adorable little girl was offering "cake," and clearly, I couldn't say no.

shirt: Target
necklace: Page Six
shoes: gojane.com
Cara's dress: hand-me-down





12 comments:

  1. 1. Love the skirt! It fits perfectly! I'm not brave enough to sew for me... Maybe when I lose the last of my baby weight?
    2. YOU are gorgeous!
    3. Love the cake part! :) I usually get sandwiches. I'm going to start asking for cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an adorable skirt, I love the scalloped hem! And it totally looks professional. You rock sista! May I add that you look in pretty awesome shape to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the skirt, you did a great job and picked an awesome fabric! Love the wedges too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This skirt looks great, and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I like the material you chose. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super stylish... LOVE your color scheme.. So fun for the season.. Those sandals are to die for.. Very pretty.. Great combo / outfit.. LOVE it.. I have a WIWW party happening (every Monday called Mannequin Mondays and I will love to have you link if you have a moment please..? the link is http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com/2012/06/mannequin-mondaysbrows-stylin.html) Thanks SO much in advance.. wishing you a beautiful evening..Officially your newest happy follower.. xo Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this skirt is stunning. You look so fabulous. How am I only just now following you. Adore this post, love. If you get a sec, I just posted pictures from my wedding ceremony. I'l love if you'd check it out. xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love A-line skirts, they're so flattering. Your print is sooo pretty! I would never guess you have a new baby. You look fab!

    Carolyn http://sillyhappysweet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow...you did a great job!! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just finished a Meringue. I need to post it! I messed my scallops up at the side seams, but at least they are equally messed up on both sides, so maybe it's not as noticeable! I was wondering what it would look like in a printed fabric versus a solid like I chose. I like the result! I will have to give this skirt another try with a print.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...