Jul 22, 2012

taffy



Here is my third creation from the Colette Sewing Handbook, the Taffy blouse.  As much as I love this floral rayon challis with the navy polka dot bias trim, I have to admit that I was kind of meh about this top.  I wore it to church this morning, and that improved my opinion slightly, but I've decided that I will have to make some adjustments to this pattern before I make another Taffy.

I probably should have made this in a size two instead of a four, but I think I would still have a few fit issues even then.  The neckline was waaayyy too wide for my narrow shoulders (I added an inverted pleat to the front of this blouse to bring it in a little), and the darts are a bit too low, but I'm not sure simply cutting a smaller size would solve those issues.  Guess it's time to do some pattern tracing and modifying.


In spite of my issues with the fit of this top, I actually really like the big flutter sleeves.  I also adore bias tape, especially making my own, and french seams make me a little giddy.  Sewing nerd, I know.

When I first finished this blouse, before I decided that I did, in fact, like it, I wondered if I would even wear it.  I recently finished Elizabeth L. Cline's new book Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion, and it has had a definite effect on how I view buying and making clothing.  I began inspecting the blouses that currently hang in my closet and found only one with french seams (even though all were made of fairly thin, delicate, or sheer fabrics) but plenty with basic construction issues like seam puckering or uneven hems. I found myself liking my Taffy a little more knowing that it was more well-made than most of my own blouses, and it is not something that anyone else can run to Target or Forever 21 or Old Navy and buy.  Those seem like good enough reasons to justify the time and effort it will take to get this pattern fitting perfectly.

8 comments:

  1. the blouse is cute but those jeans i really really love on you! very flattering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute! love your jeans--where are they from?

    I'm a new follower! Also a teacher, elementary, but still a teacher and a new mommy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My jeans are actually hand-me-downs from my sister. They are really nice and stretchy, but I have no idea where she bought them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute little print on that top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Just popping in from Colletterie!
    I love your top!
    (And I love french seams and bias tape too!)

    If you plan to make another, I had an idea, or two... =)

    Why not lengthen the top 6 or 8 inches, add drawstrings to the side seams, and turn the bagginess into a ruched look? It would look great with the flutter sleeves!

    Then, to transform a little more "meh" into "Cute!" I would suggest raising the sleeve hemline on a diagonal. About 1 inch at the underarm seam, to 2 1/2 inches at the center of the sleeve.
    That would give you a flattering angle, drawing the eye upward to your shoulders.

    Have fun!
    Keep sewing! It is so worth it!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions! I especially like your idea about the sleeves!

      Delete
  6. Oh I love it! It looks so pretty AND comfy, I combination I tend to have trouble finding! =]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...