Jul 11, 2012

truffle




May I introduce you to the Truffle, my latest completed project from The Colette Sewing Handbook?  This is my favorite dress ever in the whole world.  

I was so excited about having fixed my hair that I forgot to put on make up.  True story.

This dress went together smoothly, mostly due to the wonders of The Colette Sewing Handbook.  I hope all of the Colette patterns are this delightful to work with because I have my eye on a few more.  This was my first time installing an invisible zipper, which would be unremarkable except that I do not have an invisible zipper foot.  And my zipper still looks normal!  And my darts still line up!  

I caught this rayon shirting on sale at Fabric.com for $1.95!  Minus the cost of the book, this dress only cost me $6.83 to make!  The fabric has a linen-ish sort of texture, but a smoother drape and a silkier feel than linen, if that makes any sense.



I am very happy with the fit of this dress.  I cut both the bodice and the skirt by a size 4, and the only adjustment I had to make was taking up the shoulders just a bit.  Based on my research (ahem, reading blogs), it seems that this is a fairly common adjustment.  I won't say that it's a perfect fit, but it's quite comfortable and I feel awesome in it.  First day of school dress, perhaps?


And then there was this:





love


11 comments:

  1. I just saw this on Facebook and I was thinking, "Please tell me she didn't make this dress!". Puts me to shame... Anyway, it's awesome and you look great in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kimberly! I'm pretty proud of the finished product (obviously, haha), but this is definitely a dress a beginner could handle.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Beautiful dress! I think you're inspiring me to finally try to make myself something. Can I also say I'm a wee bit jealous that you look that amazing after having had a baby recently?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chelsea! The drape on the front of the skirt is perfect for a little tummy camoflage! :-) For a little motivation to start sewing for yourself, check out Overdressed by Elizabeth Cline.

      Delete
  3. I think the fit looks perfect! You amaze me that you can make your own clothes, what a talent! Looking good girlie, looking good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say: that dress is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dress is incredible and looks like something one would pay good money for in a store. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! love it! right down to the very last little polka dot. I am still stuck on mostly straight things when using the machine (big rectangular curtains anyone?). I recently taught myself a few embroidery stitches though, so if you need a little design along a hemline, I'm your girl. What is your next project?

    and ps- a few friends have a group called stitch and b***h that meets on the first friday of the month to sew (knit, crochet, darn a sock) and complain about husbands and such. Let me know if you want to come along and I will forward you the next location.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an absolutely gorgeous dress (and such a perfect fit too!!).
    I just came across your blog from Coletterie and love it! I can definitely relate to your "about me" section. I had my first daughter when I was 29 and it definitely kicked my butt! It probably took three years to recover...and then of course we had another one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh!! What a beautiful dress and fit and fabric!! I don't have an invisible zipper foot either and I need to practice sewing in zippers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so cute! Great fit and I love how fun the fabric looks :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...