Both of these tops were made with the Oliver and S Sailboat Top pattern. As with all Oliver and S patterns that I have made so far, this one was easy to follow and included lots of cute details like curved hems and decorative topstitching. I especially appreciate that the finished product always feels quite professional but handmade at the same time.
Sailboat Top #1 (sleeves shortened because, let's face it, summer hangs around SC until October most years):
The fabric is the same rayon challis that I used for my Taffy blouse. It was such a pain to work with on a top this tiny, and I'm not sure why. However, I'm glad it's a really busy pattern because I made plenty of mistakes, as I always do on my first try with a new pattern. And I had some major tension issues with my sewing machine. Grrr...
Cara and I made a special shopping trip to pick out the perfect buttons. This top features purple glitter hearts on one shoulder and blue on the other. She's such a little fashionista.
A 3T fits her perfectly right this very second. I should probably go ahead and buy the next size up in this pattern before I make the matching skirt if I want her to wear it through the fall.
Sailboat Top #2 (sleeveless)
I adore this fabric. Cara found it on the sale table at Hancock (seriously, she found it. She's my fabric shopping sidekick), and I think it's cotton lawn. Definitely not quilting cotton, but still definitely cotton. At $2.50 a yard, I couldn't leave any of it there.
more sparkly heart buttons because they're just perfect