Jan 26, 2013

happy birthday sewing

My friend Melissa's baby girl is turning two, and you know what?  Two is a big deal.  Big girl status.  And that deserves a Tea Party dress and a tutu.  Isn't that what every big girl needs on her birthday?


The Tea Party dress is probably my favorite Oliver and S pattern; it's a classic design that comes together beautifully.  I used denim for this version in hopes that it will go from winter to spring and maybe even to summer.  (The little ones outgrow things so quickly!)



The butterfly took me a few tries, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I think those extra touches make handmade garments that much more special.


I added a scalloped stitch to the hem facing, and it is my favorite little detail, even if it is hidden.  I am so excited that I found a way to use my newly rediscovered pattern cams, and I would love suggestions for how to incorporate more decorative stitches, especially into little girl dresses.

The second part of this special birthday present is the tutu from Little Things to Sew.  There are six layers of tulle in three shades of purple, and I was very pleased with the way the colors layered together.  I can't say that my poor, old sewing machine was thrilled about sewing all those gathered layers to the ribbon, but in the end, this was an instant-gratification project if there ever was one.  Cara has been about to burst for one of these ever since I finished this one.  I'm sure there is a tutu in her near future. ;-)





4 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the hand embroidery on the denim dress. Such a special little touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm new to embroidery, but I love how it looks.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous dress and tutu. I am so happy to have found your blog. I agree about the embroidery. I just did an embroidered collar for my daughter's blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to check out your blog as well!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...