Mar 27, 2013

licorice

Licorice is the one pattern from The Colette Sewing Handbook that I didn't love at first.  I'm not sure why, but this dress didn't really strike me as something that would be flattering, and I wasn't a fan of the collar.  HOWEVER, I was so totally wrong.  Licorice turned out to be the perfect Easter dress for me.

*side eye

I cut this dress in a size 2, which made me super nervous.  Everything else from my Colette Sewing Handbook has been cut in a size 4, but based on my experience with the Taffy blouse, I suspected that the shoulders would be too wide.  This dress has a little more ease through the waist than the Truffle dress, so a size 2 worked perfectly.

just be glad I cropped out my head...

I used a voile with a basic lining fabric for this dress.  It works really well with a slightly sheer, floaty fabric.  Since the print is pretty bold, I decided to forgo the collar, but I will probably add the collar the next time I make this one.


I really like the Licorice sleeves.  They make this dress a perfect transition dress for spring.  Which is wonderful, since spring doesn't seem to be making a strong appearance right now...


This was my first time trying out a hand picked zipper, and I may never sew in another zipper by machine.  This is my best zipper insertion so far.

an invisible zipper could not be more invisible


Without the belt, I can tell that the fit of this dress isn't quite perfect.  The next time I make this pattern--and there will definitely be a next time--I will probably shorten it at the waist by about half an inch to remove the extra fabric that folds and bunches right under the bust.  Other than that, I am really happy with how this dress turned out.  The only pattern I have left from The Colette Sewing Handbook is the Pastille dress.  I have been most intimidated by that pattern, but now that I have a little more experience under my belt, I'm feeling more confident about tackling that one.


5 comments:

  1. Wow. You are amazing! Seriously, your skills blow my mind. And I may also be a wee bit jealous that you are a size 2, ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great with the belt, of course, but I also really like it sans belt. I was not instantly taken with the licorice either but you are making me change my mind. Love those sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your dress looks really nice! i like the print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it with the belt! Adds a nice "pop"...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's official - you make amazing dresses! I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...