May 12, 2013

happy mother's day

I tend to be less than enthusiastic about Hallmark-engineered holidays.  It's not that I dislike celebrations or presents, but it feels a little forced.  Expectations are built up by greeting cards and retail, only adding to the disappointment when things are not perfect.  Why am I changing this poopy diaper?  Why am I awake at 6 am on a Sunday?  I thought I was getting a break from all those mothering duties today?  

The truth is that there is no break, and I don't particularly want a designated day to celebrate my motherhood.  I don't like my attitude when I think of Mother's Day from that perspective.  What I need is to spend Mother's Day thankful for the ones who made me a mother.  Of course, that means many, many thanks to my very own mama.  I am so thankful for the love and sacrifices my mama so freely doled out during my childhood, but I am particularly thankful for her role in my life now.  Whenever I need support or advice, she is always there.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom!  I'm so grateful for your love and encouragement in my journey as a mom.

I am so grateful for my husband, who forgives me over and over when I am grumpy, stressed, and overwhelmed.  I hate to think about the type of mother I would be if I didn't have him as my partner and leader.  His roles as husband and father in our family are absolutely essential.  So, on this Mother's Day, I want to offer a sincere and heartfelt thank you to PJ, my most favorite husband ever, because he supports, encourages, humors, and protects me like no one else around here could. :-)

I mean, look at that handsome face.  I couldn't do it without this guy.

And to my sweet babies, thank you so much for the joy you bring to my life.  I admire how you both wake up excited to take on the day, how you find the fun everywhere you go, how you offer hugs and kisses and snuggles when they are most needed.  You are teaching me about patience, generosity, selflessness, and unconditional love, and I am so very grateful for the role the two of you play in life.  Happy Mother's Day, Cara and Colin!

I am so thankful for those little smiles!

From now on, I think I will use Mother's Day as a day to celebrate and pamper the ones who allow me the privilege of mothering them.  They are the ones who deserve the flowers and the presents and the special meals because they love me through the bad days and celebrate with me on the good ones.  Thanks, guys.

They are the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...