Jun 17, 2013

summer scenes




Summer is such a glorious time of, well, time.  I am so thankful for the extra time I have right now to hang out with my family and my friends, to enjoy the sunshine, to watch mindless TV with my hubby, to sew, and even to work out.  

Colin is almost exactly 15 months and Cara is a few weeks shy of 4.  I love watching them play together.  Colin mimics what Cara does, laughing when she laughs, running after her when she runs.  They also bicker over toys and splash each other and get on each other's nerves, but that's an important part of having a sibling.  Life lessons in problem solving and people skills or something like that.

What's been strange for me is remembering the differences between 15 months and almost 4.  I find myself frustrated with Colin when I say "no" and he doesn't listen because that is what I expect Cara to do.  Cara keeps telling me that Colin needs to go to time-out in his crib, which sounds like a good idea, except that I don't think Colin will understand the time-out concept just yet.  However, we are working on signing and saying "sorry" when Colin hits his sister, and we are working on forgiveness and grace with Cara.  Again with those life lessons.



Cara is trying really hard to read and spell.  She likes to sound out words and write them in chalk on our deck.  It's amazing how smart she is, and obviously, I'm not just saying that because she belongs to me. :-)  In the first picture, she sounded out "jump" but wrote it backwards (she also didn't like her first J, so she wrote a second one).  In the second picture, she sounded out "pop" and wrote it the right way.  Sometimes I don't want to tell her when she writes a letter or word backwards because I want to cheer for her because she got so close, but she always asks, "Is this right, Mommy?"  When I have to tell her that her Z is backwards, she giggles and says, "Oops.  Sorry!"



Mr. Colin got a big boy haircut on Sunday.  This is not his first haircut, but this one seemed to change his look a little more than the first one did.  He reminds me a lot of my brother when he was a baby, just with brown eyes instead of blue.  I guess that makes sense; Colin looks a lot like my baby pictures, and my brother and I are clearly related, but it's really more of an expression of mischief than any particular feature.  Which scares me a bit since my brother was aptly nicknamed "Josh the Destroyer..."


And, this is totally unrelated, but what on earth is up with this grocery store and their huge display of "fresh from the field" CANDY right in the middle of the produce section?  I need to know where this candy farm is.

1 comment:

  1. Three cheers for summer, I say! Although I need to focus on enjoying it rather than stressing about when I go back. I want know where the candy farm is, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...