Jun 20, 2013

summer uniform

So, I've been sewing a lot lately.  Which is not a bad thing, except that it means my house is not clean.  Oops.  Anyway, I'm pretty excited because I managed to make myself an entire outfit that I really like.  I've stuck mostly to dresses with the occasional blouse or skirt, but so far, I haven't made separate pieces that actually go together.  I figured it was time to plan and execute an entire outfit, start to finish.


My top is the ever popular (if you read sewing blogs) Tiny Pocket Tank from Grainline Studio, obviously sans tiny pocket.  When I found this hot pink chevron chiffon, it was a little more than I typically spend per yard on fabric, but I just couldn't leave it.  I bought one yard with the hope that I could manage a blouse of some sort.  This top pattern actually calls for two yards, which is ridiculous; I still have a few scraps of this pink deliciousness left over, and I even made the bias binding for the neckline and armholes out of it.  I love the way this pattern looks in a sheer, light, floaty fabric, although I did raise the neckline about half an inch.  In fact, I love this top so much that I've tried this pattern again in slightly heavier, stiffer fabrics with disappointing results.  The darts are all wrong, the armholes too tight, the shoulders too narrow.  It's weird, but maybe this pink chevron top will be it for the me and the Tiny Pocket Tank.



However, as adorable as the tank top is, it is just a tank top.  What I'm really proud of are my Sweet Shorts by Pattern Runway.  I looooooovvve the scalloped hem, but I knew these would be a little tricky because they have slash pockets in the front and welt pockets in the back, just like ready-to-wear shorts.  Fortunately, the pattern directions were pretty easy to follow, even though I had to get PJ to help me decipher how to attach the pocket bag in the back.  Poor thing--he knows way too much about constructing clothing these days.  He's a good sport though.  My only other complaint with the actual pattern is the sizing. I measure at a medium in the waist and between a small and medium in the hip, so logically, I should go with a medium and grade down a tiny bit in the hip.  I had a feeling that I needed to cut a small, and I went with it, which was a very good decision.  I made these out of cotton sateen with a bit of stretch, and they are perfect after a wash and dry.

And we have slash pockets in the front...

...and welt pockets in the back!

I should probably confess that those back pockets are supposed to be single welt pockets, but the pattern directions use the metric system, and I cannot do any conversions or even be bothered to google that, so my measurements were a little off.  And so we have a faux double welt pocket.  Whatev.

When I first put these shorts on, I was a little surprised by how high the waistline is.  I came of age in the late 90's/early 00's, and none of my pants hit any higher than my hipbones.  Ten years (okay fine, twelve years) and two babies ago, that was fine, but things are just a little bit different (*cough, cough*) now.  I actually think the high-waisted look is really flattering.



I think both of these pieces will be in heavy rotation for the rest of the summer, although maybe not together. I have a feeling that pink tank top will help me class up a pair of cut offs, and I have several other blouses in mind for my new scalloped hem shorts.  It is so satisfying to be the determiner of my fashion fate.  I might stop shopping for ready-to-wear all together...

12 comments:

  1. Cute!!! You are just super awesome and talented. I think the scalloped hem would be cute on a skirt too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually made a scalloped hem skirt last summer (well, I made two but only one made it to the blog). I'm kind of in love with the scalloped hem trend.

      Have you tried any clothing yet? I know you have that fancy machine to play around with...
      ;-)

      Delete
  2. The shorts are fantastic! You'll get lots of wear out of those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shorts and top :)
    I have the opposite problem, everything is in imperial measurements and I live in a metric country. If you have a smart phone, you can download Convert Pad, it converts every type of measurement out there and is free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip!! An app is easy enough for a lazy girl like me! :-)

      Delete
  4. You are too adorable Jessica! Looking fab! I adore those scalloped shorts, they're so unique. Wish I could find some like that pre-made...being as I can't sew and all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those shorts are amazing!! Super impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, good job sewing the outfit. I am hoping to sew myself something this summer. I am just venturing back into sewing with a new sewing machine.
    Ania
    www.creativecolourfuldreams.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you made your own shorts!! Those look awesome! I don't think I've ever even come close to attempting something like pants, yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this outfit! I have been eying that scalloped short pattern for awhile now! They will have to be a must-make for next summer!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...