Jul 5, 2013

the blue rose dress (simplicity 2444)

A friend of mine stopped by earlier this week with a huge box full of fabric.  She doesn't currently sew, so she passed on her glorious stash to me.  I opened up the tub and pulled out this blue rose fabric before she even left and I told her that those roses would be a dress for me soon.  At the time, I'm not sure I meant "within a week" but once an idea gets into my head, there is no way out but completed.  I bought Simplicity 2444 after seeing some gorgeous versions of it out on the internet (1, 2, 3), and blue roses seemed ladylike and vintage and perfect.


This pattern has some interesting bodice darts and pleats in the skirt.  At first, I was convinced that the bodice darts were supposed to match up with the skirt pleats, and I agonized a bit over what I had done wrong.  However, it seems that I did nothing wrong; I think everything is lined up as the pattern intends (someone please tell me if I'm wrong).

bodice darts and skirt pleats not lined up ON PURPOSE 
(this might be uncomfortably close...)

As you can probably tell in that picture, the bodice is a tiny bit big.  I cut this in a straight size 12 and took up the shoulders 3/8".  I probably should have taken in the bodice a little bit at the side seams, but I ultimately chose comfort.  And also, I am lazy.

The fit isn't too bad though, especially from a comfortable distance.

The bodice is whatever in the back.  But look at those lovely pleats in the skirt!

At first, I thought this would be a great pattern for a beginner, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that someone with no prior experience would probably not end up with the most well-constructed garment.  This dress isn't lined, which is something I will probably add if I make it again, so if it's not made in a fabric with some stiffness, I don't think the pleats will hold very well.  The instructions are fine, but there is no additional explanation of anything.  I am quite spoiled by the instructions from Oliver and S and Colette Patterns.


On a side note, I am also wearing the most awesome earrings ever.  I ordered them from this Etsy shop (be warned--it took these almost a month to come in; however, they did come from Greece), and I absolutely love them!

Uncomfortably close again? ;-)


6 comments:

  1. Pretty fabric! It was perfect for that dress. Love those earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those earrings! Dress is fabulous. You have got to start giving lessons. My machine is back from the shop and not electrocuting me anymore, so I need to finish my curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous dress! If you got a chance, please link up to my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-we-wore-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm so impressed. The dress looks great! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI. Love the dress you made. Also thank you for provide the link for the earrings I made. thank you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...