Oct 3, 2013

a fall cambie

If you have not made the Sewaholic Cambie dress yet, you are missing out on a fantastic pattern.  I made the full-skirt version back in May and loved it all summer.  I actually had not pictured the Cambie as a fall dress until I saw this version.  Then, the wheels began to turn and the plaid matching began.


This is my first attempt at matching any sort of plaid, and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it and I didn't do a very good job of it.  It's okay though, because the important parts, the parts that matter, are close enough that they don't bother me.  I think matching plaids is a skill I will need to practice a lot more before I can feel competent, but the funny thing about the whole matched-plaid business is that nobody notices.  Except for people who sew.


As I'm sure I've said before, the Cambie is delightfully easy to assemble and looks as lovely inside as it does outside.  I used what I think is a poly-blend suiting fabric with just enough stretch to be insanely comfortable.  It's also soft and smooth enough that I lined the bodice with the self fabric and used a little Bemberg rayon for the skirt lining.  Nothing better, folks.  I made a size 6 again with zero modifications, and it fits perfectly.  Did I mention that I love this dress?  Because I really do.  

This is after a full work day of wear.  No wrinkles = best dress ever


I hesitated to cut the waistband on the bias because I was afraid it would stretch out of shape, but it actually worked perfectly.  I really like the effect of the bias-cut waistband; those vertical stripes needed a break from each other anyway.

I think the shape of this A-line skirt is so incredibly flattering, and look! my horizontal stripes pretty much match up!  Vertical stripes?  Eh.  Whatev.


The bodice back is where things didn't quite work out.  I'm not sure what happened, but I couldn't get those stripes to match up.  It bothered me for about 10 minutes and then I let it go because the nice, clean lapped zipper cancels out the mismatched plaids.  Right?  

For my first attempt at matching plaids, I can't say that I was particularly successful.  I feel like there are more seams where things don't line up than where they do, but you know what?  I got a ton of compliments on this dress, and none of them were "in spite of the non-matching plaids."  

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! You are right, no one cares about the plaids lining up except super sewers, of which I am not one. I think it's lovely and I kinda want one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! If you can use a sewing machine, you can make this dress!

      Delete
    2. yeah? does the pattern come in plus sizes? my boobs don't fit in regular very well without needing modifications. neither do my thighs, but as this is a skirt that won't be an issue!

      Delete
  2. You are so talented. And I love your shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lapped zipper definitely cancels out not-quite-matched plaid. Although, I think your plaid matching looks pretty darn good! Perfect fall dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you did a fantastic job! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...