Jan 9, 2014

Simplicity 2451--conquered

I really loved my previous version of Simplicity 2451, but I found that it was just too tight in the waist to be comfortable.  I passed it along to my itty bitty sister because I didn't want it to sit in my closet, getting its feelings hurt every time I passed it by.  However, I figured all I needed to do was add a little bit of width, and the skirt would fit.  I ended up sewing all of the side seams with a 3/8" seam allowance instead of 5/8", and the problem was solved.


The fabric for both the skirt and the lining came from my stash.  I think the lining was left over from my summer Cambie, and the skirt fabric is another gem donated to me by a friend.  (Isn't that the gift that keeps on giving?   This is my third free garment from that donation, not mention Colin's three pairs of shorts and a dress for Cara.)


I switched out the pleats for gathers this time.  I was afraid the pleats would made the stripes look funny if they weren't perfect, and this fabric has a loose weave that might not hold the shape of a pleat very well.  I like the way the gathers turned out though--gives this skirt a more relaxed vibe.

Pockets!  And a machine hem because it was getting late.


There's the kick pleat and lapped zipper.  I don't have any special feet for my machine, so invisible zippers never seem to turn out very well.  I don't like the look of centered zippers, but lapped zippers are durable and fabulous.


And a look at the insides.  I've always been afraid to include any shots of the inside of my handmade garments because I have never been particularly proud of that part, but this time, I am. :-) I added a lining and attached the lining to the zipper by hand.  I should have used a different color zipper, but it's not that big of a deal since it's nicely hidden.

Overall, I'm really pleased with how this skirt turned out, and I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it now that it fits well.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Great fabric choice and changing the seam allowance was such an easy fix. I'm a big fan of lapped zippers, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Morgan! I was so glad it all worked out because I love this skirt pattern!

      Delete
  2. Love it!! It's a great print on the skirt. I just learned how to make a skirt in my sewing class, and featured it in my outfit post today - small world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Look professional! I love the fabric! Visiting from the Pleated Poppy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...