I really loved my previous version of Simplicity 2451, but I found that it was just too tight in the waist to be comfortable. I passed it along to my itty bitty sister because I didn't want it to sit in my closet, getting its feelings hurt every time I passed it by. However, I figured all I needed to do was add a little bit of width, and the skirt would fit. I ended up sewing all of the side seams with a 3/8" seam allowance instead of 5/8", and the problem was solved.
The fabric for both the skirt and the lining came from my stash. I think the lining was left over from my summer Cambie, and the skirt fabric is another gem donated to me by a friend. (Isn't that the gift that keeps on giving? This is my third free garment from that donation, not mention Colin's three pairs of shorts and a dress for Cara.)
I switched out the pleats for gathers this time. I was afraid the pleats would made the stripes look funny if they weren't perfect, and this fabric has a loose weave that might not hold the shape of a pleat very well. I like the way the gathers turned out though--gives this skirt a more relaxed vibe.
Pockets! And a machine hem because it was getting late.
There's the kick pleat and lapped zipper. I don't have any special feet for my machine, so invisible zippers never seem to turn out very well. I don't like the look of centered zippers, but lapped zippers are durable and fabulous.
Overall, I'm really pleased with how this skirt turned out, and I think I'll get a lot of wear out of it now that it fits well.