Mar 12, 2014

the perfect dress

Cara has a Disney Princess book that she loves to read called "The Perfect Dress." It's one those step-into-reading books, and she's had it memorized since the day she got it.  The storyline is that all of the princesses have many activities to accomplish and events to attend, and each one of them is after the perfect dress for the occasion.  I have to admit, it's pretty tough to find a dress that goes from scrubbing the floor to a magic carpet ride to a ball.  I can sympathize.  Fortunately, I have the answer:  the Oliver and S Jump Rope Dress.

I have been feeling up for a new sewing challenge lately, and this dress fit the bill.  I wouldn't say it's difficult, but there are lots of details to handle.  In true Oliver and S fashion, the instructions are so thorough that even my button placket came out pretty close to perfect on the first try.  In addition to the button placket, there are sleeve tabs, a collar, a sash, and pockets on the skirt, but I was careful to be precise in my cutting and measuring, and everything went together like a dream.


It's hard to tell in these pictures, but the fabric is covered in kite tails, which only makes this dress even more perfect for spring.  To be honest, all I had to tell Cara was that it had a twirly skirt and a bow, and she was sold.  I love it because it looks a little bit more "big girl" and it can go from church to play time to birthday party in a breeze.


I made this one in a size 5.  It's a slightly slimmer fit than some of the other Oliver and S dresses I've made, with the exception of the Fairy Tale Dress, but I think it suits the style of this dress.  I'm crossing my fingers that it will last through the summer into the fall!


And there's nothing more perfect for my little princess than a dress that works just as well for swinging with Ariel as it does for riding bikes with your brother.



4 comments:

  1. Oh, it's just so sweet! What a perfect not-quite-so-little-girl's dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that is too perfect. I love it. And I can't believe how big and grown-up Cara is looking nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's so pretty! I love this pattern - such a classic timeless style for girls (and your fabric choice is so great)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She looks so sweet standing there all prim and proper, what a cutie!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...