Mar 8, 2014

the two week tank top

If you're going to sew a garment completely by hand, obviously it's going to take a bit longer to complete it.  That's okay though.  I am so very proud of this tank top, perhaps precisely because it took nearly two weeks to finish.


This is the fitted tank top from Alabama Studio Sewing and Design made out of two XL t-shirts I picked up at Goodwill.  I made a quick muslin from another old t-shirt and decided to alter the neckline a bit, but I really like the fit of this version.  I would actually call this one a second muslin because my big undertaking is going to be a dress.  


I used the Paisley stencil (available for free on the Alabama Chanin website) in a backstitch reverse applique.  The first panel probably took a week to complete, but fortunately, the second went a little faster.  I left the back panels plain because I can't see them when I'm wearing this top. :-) Other than raising the neckline, I followed the instructions in the book to letter, sewing each seam by hand. 


There is something so soothing and organic about handsewing.  It is the perfect activity to keep me feeling productive while I binge-watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and it's especially fun to see the design come together.  I am so glad the sun made an appearance this weekend so that I had a chance to wear this top.  I've been experimenting with ways to layer on cardigans, but I think a top like this just needs to be on display, not layered under frumpy sweaters and scarves.  Can you tell I'm ready for spring for real?


7 comments:

  1. It is absolutely gorgeous! I'm in awe of the work that went into it! And I'm excited to see the dress you make...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is so addicting! I have already started on the dress, and I am covered in fabric paint to prove it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! And I'm ready for spring, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! At least we had a bit of a preview this weekend. I am so ready for 80 degrees.

      Delete
  3. I love your color choices - nice Goodwill finds! It's a beautiful tank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I actually copied the red and brown from another AC dress I saw somewhere. I'm such a cheater! :-)

      Delete
  4. Lovely work! The light edges of the paisely is a really nice touch. Did you use bleach for the stencil?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...