May 30, 2014

Reflections on me-made-May





Participating in something like Me-Made-May seemed a little self-indulgent and silly to me at first.  I've always felt super awkward in pictures anyway--why would I want to commit to taking a picture of myself every day?  I know, I know.  It's not about the pictures; it's about wearing handmade clothing.  For me, the pictures gave me better idea what styles are flattering and what I realistically pull out of my closet when I get dressed.  The last thing I want to do is spend my precious sewing time on garments that I won't actually wear.  Fortunately, I've made pretty good choices up to this point.  I like clothes that are decidedly feminine and pretty, but I also like clothes that are easy.  There's nothing easier to me than pulling out a beautiful dress. One of my new goals is to make pieces that are more versatile--I think that's why I have been so pleasantly surprised by my Simplicity 1541 pencil skirt and so drawn to the Belcarra blouse. 

Another realization I made is that I could not pull off a challenge like this during a cold weather month.  While I have a few spring/summer projects still waiting for me, I probably need to begin thinking ahead to fall.  I think the biggest reason I haven't sewn very many garments for cooler weather is that I haven't been a big sewer of knits.  However, I'm definitely getting more comfortable working with knits, and I can envision some lovely Alabama Chanin-style tops, skirts, and cardigans that would be perfect for cooler temperatures.

For the sake of completely fulfilling my pledge to wear at least one handmade garment five days per week, here is my final Me-Made-May selfie:


Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...