Jun 2, 2014

belcarra blouse times three

May is a rough month for me as a teacher.  The weather is perfect, and the end of the school year is so close we can all taste it.  The time from spring break to the last day of school either drags or flies, and for the entire time, we all feel like there's somewhere else we'd rather be: out in the sun, please.  For me, there is usually lots of grading and make up to work chase down, and I'm a little surprised I managed to make it all the way through Me-Made-May without giving up.  I didn't have much time for actual sewing, but I did whip up three Belcarra Blouses.  This is a nice everyday blouse--it's almost like a fancy t-shirt that I can wear to work--and it's a quick make, even for a slow sewing gal like me.


View A:

View A is the no-frills version, perfect for showcasing special prints.  I had one meter of this gorgeous Nani Iro double gauze taunting me, and I was determined to make it work as a blouse, even though it was maybe three quarters of the recommended amount of fabric.  It took some creativity, but here it is.  Double gauze is a perfect fabric for this blouse.  It's so soft and comfortable, and the drape works nicely with this loose style.  I cut a straight size 6, and, as usual for Sewaholic patterns and my body type, it fits quite nicely.

I accidentally sewed the neck binding at a 3/8 inch seam allowance instead of 5/8 because I wasn't paying attention.  It ended up working out as a benefit because it narrowed the neckline just a tiny bit.  The wide neckline seems to be a concern for some folks out there, so I thought I'd offer this up as an accidental solution.  (Also, you can see this one in Me-Made-May action here and here.)

View B:

View B includes pintucks in the sleeves.  I chose a solid color for this version so that the sleeve detail would stand out a bit more.  This is a basic poly/cotton broadcloth, and it's okay.  It doesn't wrinkle much, it doesn't shrink or fade in the dryer, and it looks like it's going to hold on to the smooth texture for a good long while.  It's a little crisp, but I tell myself that crisp equals better pintucks, and I wear it anyway.  (And this one saw a little Me-Made-May action too.)

View C: 

View C includes fold-over cuffs and a pocket, so I decided to play up these design features with a contrasting print.  The solid is the same poly/cotton broadcloth, but the contrasting bits are an Amy Butler voile.  The pocket directions did give me a bit of a head-scratch for some reason, but there is a very convenient sewalong taking place right now.

It's sort of hard to say which Belcarra is my favorite, and I'd hate to ruffle any feathers or incite jealousy between blouses, but...


...you know. ;-)



4 comments:

  1. Te acabo de conocer y me encanta tu blog! !!
    Tus tres belcarras estupendas! !
    Besitos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that double gauze version the best, though they are all pretty awesome. It's such a cool print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All 3 are great, but I especially that double gauze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on all three! The double gauze is a gorgeous fabric, so I'm drawn to that. I'm also impressed with your creative use of the print in the 3rd one. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...