Aug 31, 2014

teacher clothes

I'm pretty lucky to be in a profession that does not require that I dress in a narrow, specific sort of way.  Obviously, there are dress code parameters I am expected to follow, but they aren't particularly restricting, mostly just common sense.  If I taught elementary school, I'm sure I would be more concerned about being comfortable at recess duty and sitting on the carpet for circle time.  High school is nice because I can actually wear all those dresses I sew in my everyday life.

For the first day of school, I wanted an outfit that would look a little dressier than usual--first impressions are important, after all.  I went with the Sewaholic Alma blouse and Simplicity 1541.


Can we talk about how wonderfully this skirt turned out?  This is my second 1541 skirt (my first one was a muslin that I wore during me-made-May).  I went with the curvy fit this time with four darts in the back instead of just two and found that no other changes were needed.  I love how this skirt fits.  I used a cotton sateen with a tiny bit of stretch, which is one of my favorite fabrics for skirts, and I added a lining.  The busy pattern obscures the princess seams a bit, but I'm okay with that--this is my favorite handmade skirt so far.


I wish I could say that I love the blouse as much I as I love the skirt.  I love the Alma pattern, and I have another version that turned out really nicely and fits well.  I think the problem lies with my fabric choice.  This fabric was labeled as rayon, and it has a texture similar to crepe.  It shrank like a boss on the first washing, so I washed it again.  However, when I ironed it, it seemed to stretch back out.  Weird.  It's a tiny bit sheer, but I went with the facings anyway, and I keep thinking that I might take it off and use bias tape on the neckline.  This fabric just doesn't behave.  I do like those tiny polka dots though, and it works well for some subtle pattern mixing.


In spite of that unruly rayon, I am still pleased with how this first day of school outfit turned out.  I just hate that Labor Day signals the end of wearing white...or does it?

10 comments:

  1. A fab first day back outfit. Your skirt is awesome, are you going to make another as you are so pleased with it? The Alma looks great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure I'll make another version of this skirt. I love pencil skirts, and this one is quick and easy to make.

      Delete
  2. I can see why that's your favourite skirt so far! I have a serious case of print envy right now. Given how temperamental that rayon sounds, I think you've done a great job of the Alma too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I do love the skirt fabric. That crazy rayon is another story though. :-)

      Delete
  3. Looks great! I can't believe you have a home sewn outfit to go back to school... I started back today and I'm just pleased I have anything for work which still fits me after all the treats I've had over the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! All those treats might be the reason I needed a new outfit... ;-)

      Delete
  4. The fit on that skirt is fantastic. I'm going to have to look that pattern up. Love your subtle print mixing, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The envelope is not impressive, but this is a great skirt pattern.

      Delete
  5. I love the whole look pulled together! and HECK NO that doesn't mean you gotta stop wearing white! Where whatever you want! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Good because I definitely wore another black and white skirt today on purpose.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...