For the first day of school, I wanted an outfit that would look a little dressier than usual--first impressions are important, after all. I went with the Sewaholic Alma blouse and Simplicity 1541.
Can we talk about how wonderfully this skirt turned out? This is my second 1541 skirt (my first one was a muslin that I wore during me-made-May). I went with the curvy fit this time with four darts in the back instead of just two and found that no other changes were needed. I love how this skirt fits. I used a cotton sateen with a tiny bit of stretch, which is one of my favorite fabrics for skirts, and I added a lining. The busy pattern obscures the princess seams a bit, but I'm okay with that--this is my favorite handmade skirt so far.
I wish I could say that I love the blouse as much I as I love the skirt. I love the Alma pattern, and I have another version that turned out really nicely and fits well. I think the problem lies with my fabric choice. This fabric was labeled as rayon, and it has a texture similar to crepe. It shrank like a boss on the first washing, so I washed it again. However, when I ironed it, it seemed to stretch back out. Weird. It's a tiny bit sheer, but I went with the facings anyway, and I keep thinking that I might take it off and use bias tape on the neckline. This fabric just doesn't behave. I do like those tiny polka dots though, and it works well for some subtle pattern mixing.