May 10, 2015

seersucker charlie

I have no business sewing right now.  I am drowning in essays, quizzes, and the dreaded Independent Literary Analysis (an assignment as torturous for me as it is valuable for my students), and as a reasonable professional, I should be spending my weekend grading.  However, I am not entirely reasonable, and it is Mother's Day weekend.  One of my favorite things about being a mom is sewing for my kiddos.  Seriously, it's on my top ten list.


Because I know I shouldn't be sewing right now, I've compensated by becoming obsessed with planning my summer sewing projects.  How silly.  Yards and yards of beauties have arrived at my house only to be washed, folded, and stashed out of sight until June 7.  Except for this lovely bit of seersucker that I just couldn't put away.  I ordered this plaid seersucker with the Mingo and Grace Charlie dress in mind, and I figured that I could make an exception to my sewing moratorium for a dress so simple and adorable.


Cara is a big fan of Charlie.  It meets her criteria of 1. being a dress; 2. being a twirly dress; and 3. being pink.   I went with a size 6 width/7 length based on Cara's chest measurement and other reviews I read of this pattern.  I was worried that her dress might turn out too short to last through the summer, but she's got plenty of room in both length and width.

The construction of this dress is pretty simple.  I used my own method for the bias facing at the neckline and armholes.  I really like that the ruffle on the bottom is drafted to have a slightly curved shape; I think this gives the ruffle a nice drape.  I'm also quite tickled with my center back seam and it's horizontal stripe matching.  And that little flower button.


 Where did my child's teeth go?

This is a perfect dress for summer in South Carolina.  You can't go wrong with plaid seersucker in the south, and it's airy shape should keep my girl somewhat cool and comfortable.  And, in case you need to know, Cara tested the twirl factor extensively and awarded her approval.



1 comment:

  1. It is adorable. I love seersucker. Now get back to grading those essays!! Ha! I am counting down the days, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...