Sep 12, 2015

simplicity 1463 x 2

When I think of fall sewing, I think of wool, flannel, and cozy knits.  I know it's not actually fall yet, but I think we might get a taste of slightly cooler temperatures coming up this week, so I thought I would test out two fall-ish knit tops that I made at the end of the summer.

I bought Simplicity 1463 last summer after stumbling across Lauren Dahl's version of view A and Sally's version of view B.  I actually made both versions at the time, but I wasn't entirely happy with the way they turned out.  I didn't have a serger, and while that doesn't break a knit project, I just didn't feel like my tops looked all that professional or fit very well.  However, I decided to try again now that my serger and I are good friends, and I'm quite pleased with the results this time.

View A:

I love this loose drapey style for fall--it's perfect with skinny jeans and boots.  I'm not sure of how flattering it is, but that's all a matter of personal preference anyway, and this is mine.  I made this version in a size small, which is right where my measurements fall, so I would say this view runs fairly true to size.  This fabric has been sitting in my stash for quite a while, mainly because I wasn't sure what to do with it.  The gray stripes are jersey, but the orange stripes are a sheer mesh and they are bright.  I think this works pretty well with the simple design of this top.


The back hem dips significantly lower than the front, but I think this works well with skinnies.


I cut this top out in a single layer to keep my stripes in line.  Both side seams match nicely, but only one shoulder seam matches...weird, but not terribly bothersome.

View B:

View B looks like a regular t-shirt in the front, but the beauty of this pattern is in the back.


I know it's a bit hard to see in this busy floral, but the back of this top features a pleated cross-over with a tie at the neckline.  The pattern cover art does a really poor job of showcasing this feature, and I would imagine a top this unique would be a major selling point.

When I made this view last year, I cut a size small thinking that it would fit similar to view A.  It was huge.  I tried to wear it a bit to see if I would end up liking it or finding a way to make it work, but it went to handmade garment heaven.  I'm not a pattern tracer, so I figured this view was a loss unless I bought the pattern again.  Fortunately, miraculously, when I looked at the pattern tissue again this year, I was able to simply cut down a size with very little issue.  I think this was just a case of sewing stars aligning.

The success of these two tops makes me want to whip up a few more knit projects before I dive into my wool and flannel.  I definitely want another cowl-neck Renfrew, and I think Cara would be quite cute in a stripey Skater dress.  How's your fall sewing going?

3 comments:

  1. These both look like really great wardrobe additions, and I can imagine they'll get a lot of wear. You'd never guess they were from the same pattern! I especially like the striped one; it's a lovely silhouette on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both but the version with the back wrap is my favorite. I can't believe it isn't featured on the pattern cover! I'm going to get this one next time they are on sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your both tops are very nice.Your B is awesome.I loved it.Its color and back warp made it special.Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...